Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Shankar Unni <sh...@netscape.net> on 2005/11/12 00:03:29 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Apache 2/Mod_JK 1.2 Slow File Download

Guy Knights wrote:

> The troubleshooting we've performed so far includes:
>
> - bypassing apache altogether to access the PDFs via tomcat. The PDFs
> accessed in this fashion downloaded with NO delay.

Instead, did you try just serving up the PDF files directly from Apache
itself? Those are static files - they don't have to be served by Tomcat..

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Apache 2/Mod_JK 1.2 Slow File Download

Posted by Guy Knights <g....@qut.edu.au>.
Hi,

As I mentioned in my original message, we need to serve these PDFs via
tomcat as we are using a proprietary java library which authenticates
users with our central auth server. If we serve the PDFs directly via
apache, they will be able to download the PDFs without being
authenticated. We could also change the links to the PDFs to serve them
via tomcat directly, but we'd then have to allow access to a different
port through our border firewall, which is not a popular option as we
don't need to serve anything else in this way.

I'm yet to try Apache 2.0.55 as William Rowe suggested, so I'll give
this a shot and see if it works. In the meantime, if anyone else
experiences the problem and knows how to resolve it, I'd be very happy
to find out how it's done.

Thanks,
Guy

Shankar Unni wrote:

> Guy Knights wrote:
>
>> The troubleshooting we've performed so far includes:
>>
>> - bypassing apache altogether to access the PDFs via tomcat. The PDFs
>> accessed in this fashion downloaded with NO delay.
>

> Instead, did you try just serving up the PDF files directly from
> Apache itself? Those are static files - they don't have to be served
> by Tomcat..

Guy Knights
Computer Systems Officer
Library Systems