Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Theodore A. Jencks" <th...@digitalfacet.com> on 2002/12/09 11:28:22 UTC

Help with using mod_jk2 continued

This seems to me a large problem with this particular project.  There isn't enough clear documentation on setting up and installing mod_jk2.  I posted a problem a while back that no one has responded to yet.  Perhaps because no one in the know saw the post or perhaps I was just unclear.  If the developer of mod_jk2 or someone in the know would explain a couple things to me I'm pretty sure I could write some decent documentation on setting up and using mod_jk2.  It's clear there are plenty of questions out there about Tomcat; just look at the number of messages this list receives.

First, I've managed to compile and install the application however there is one thing that's really annoying.  I'm not sure if it's a bug but when I compile mod_jk2 I have to put the apache header files in "$(apr.home)/include".  My particular installation happens to have apache's header files in "/usr/include/apache".  It seems to me you should be able to tell ant where to look for the header files without having to copy them.

Second, there is no mention in any of the docs about certain files that you need to make mod_jk2 run.  For instance there is no mention of jtc.jar.  In fact there are a bunch of other jar files that the build produces which I've got no clue what to do with.  I read some place that jtc.jar is a replacement for tomcat-coyote.jar, tomcat-http11.jar and tomcat-util.jar.  If there were more documentation on what these files actually were and what they do things would be much easier to understand.

Third, the documentation on configuring mod_jk2 is totally inadequate.  Sure some configuration examples are give however following the docs didn't help me any.  Apache still gets a page not found error when I try going to any of the example web apps even with the recommended configuration.  I don't even know were to look for debugging information because the docs are devoid of that info.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining because I'm glad there is an open source solution such as tomcat and mod_jk2.  I'd just like for there to be some usable documentation.  And if any developers are willing to help me in understanding how tomcat and mod_jk2 work together, I'll be at your service; glad and willing to write some clear and complete documentation for this project.

Regards,
Theo