Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Raul Kripalani <ra...@atosorigin.com> on 2008/04/02 18:57:18 UTC

Creating mediation flows in ServiceMix

Hi,

I have a question regarding the creation of "mediation flows" within
ServiceMix, that is, chaining together validations, transformations,
mediations, aggregations, etc. in a sequence. I am aware this messaging
route can be achieved using the EIP Static Routing Slip pattern,
specifying the endpoints or services through which the message should
pass before reaching the final destination.

However I have noticed that every single validation, transformation or
mediation service needs to essentially be exposed as a *service* on the
ESB. Instead of having to do so, does ServiceMix offer a mechanism to
embed the different activities inside a mediation flow in an anonymous
manner, without having to expose each single activity as a service? I am
thinking of something equivalent to what Synapse/WSO2 calls "sequences".

The thing is that in my opinion, exposing each single activity or step
as a service on the bus kind of "clutters" the ESB, because in most
scenarios the activities not be reusable in other mediation flows, and,
on the other hand, architecturally speaking, they are too fine-grained
to be offered as services.

Apologies if I have got wrong information...

Thanks a lot,

Raul.

any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.

Este mensaje y los ficheros adjuntos pueden contener informacion
confidencial destinada solamente a la(s) persona(s) mencionadas
anteriormente. Pueden estar protegidos por secreto profesional Si usted
recibe este correo electronico por error, gracias de informar inmediatamente
al remitente y destruir el mensaje.
Al no estar asegurada la integridad de este mensaje sobre la red, Atos
Origin no se hace responsable por su contenido. Su contenido no constituye
ningun compromiso para el grupo Atos Origin, salvo ratificacion escrita por
ambas partes.
Aunque se esfuerza al maximo por mantener su red libre de virus, el emisor
no puede garantizar nada al respecto y no sera responsable de cualesquiera
danos que puedan resultar de una transmision de virus

Re: Creating mediation flows in ServiceMix

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be>.
Raul,

That would be one approach for sure, but I was thinking you can also add
your bean and XSL file to the Camel SU and have Camel access it directly
instead of going over the ESB for them.  As an example, have a look at
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/xslt.html.  This shows you a route that
does XSL transformation without the need to address another service on
the ESB.  You could also add your validation bean in a similar way using
Camel's bean component http://activemq.apache.org/camel/bean.html.  If
you use these, you can avoid having to expose XSL/Bean services to the
ESB directly.  You just expose the Camel route as a whole to the ESB to
make it available afterwards.

Does this clarify things?

Gert

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
This is correct, however they are only exposed internally, meaning there's
no way to access it unless they are explicitely exposed to the outside world
using a known protocol like HTTP or JMS.  So from the service consumer point
of view, they are not really exposed.

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Raul Kripalani <
raul.kripalani@atosorigin.com> wrote:

> Hi Gert,
>
> I understand your approach. However, say that if for validation I use a
> bean and for transformation I use a Saxon SU, each of these activities
> that is part of the mediation flow (which in turn are chained together
> using a Camel pipeline) will have to be exposed as an individual service
> on the ESB. Is this correct?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Raul.

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/

RE: Creating mediation flows in ServiceMix

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be>.
Raulvk,

Posted by raulvk <ra...@atosorigin.com>.
Hi,