Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2002/05/14 19:20:32 UTC

Matcher/Mailet Library

> I have resolved this issue throught the creation of special processing
> mailet which reformats all binary content type mimebodypart attachments to
> fixed length of 76 characters. This was needed for IMAP protocol
processing
> because it cannot handle 60 character widths sent from Hotmail.com,
> Yahoo.com, Fastmail.fm mail servers. If you want I can submit this mailet
> and associating config settings. Without this patch, JAMES IMAP server
will
> not be able to read in mimemultipart body attachments properly.

My suggestion is yes, please do submit it.

On a related note, is anything being done about a repository/library of
contributed matchers and mailets?  That would be quite handy, since I
presume that not everyone's matcher and mailet will be added to the
distribution.  If not, I will consider undertaking that as a project.

I envision storing the library in a database.  What fields would people
want?

	- name of component
	- description
	- version
	- status (stable, unstable, ...)
	- version of James necessary
	- author (valid e-mail required)
	- homepage (if the author will maintain an online presence)
	- download (.ZIP or .TAR distribution)

Thoughts?

	--- Noel

RE: cross posting: Matcher/Mailet Library

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Richard,

At first glance, that sounds like an interesting solution, but the overall
effect might be different from what you expect.  Yes, someone subscribed to
multiple lists would only receive one copy ... but on which list (remember
that when you reply, it typically goes back to the list address, not the
sender)?  Do we have to figure out which list has the majority of
recipients, and consider that the presumptive target?  Let us assume that we
can and do perform this sort of dynamic cross-list filtration; then what
happens when someone on another list replies?  The replies will still be
posting on different lists.

One social alternative would be to start a thread on one list, and announce
on the other(s) that such a subject has been raised.  In this case, rather
than cross-posting, I could have posted the message to the user list, and
then posted an announcement on the developer list inviting anyone not
subscribed to the user list to temporarily join it to participate, if
interested.

Even so, I do kind of like your idea of eliminating duplicates on cross-list
postings.

	--- Noel

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
this list doesn't run on james :-( , and that wouldn't solve the probelm of
which list responses go to.
d.

Posted by "Richard O. Hammer" <RO...@EarthLink.net>.

RE: Matcher/Mailet Library

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
> Are you assured that the developer population is entirely contained within
> the user population?  You seem to be suggesting that all of the developers
> are also on the user list, in which case it certainly would be redundant.

Actually yes, I am convinced that all the developers are subscribed to the
users list, but I look at it this way..

Developers interested in wider issues of the project than just the code and
projetc management will pay attention to the users list, those who are only
concerned with the coding of the product won't.
Users will probably not want their discussions of usability to be polluted
with irrelevant technical and project management chatter.
Anyone who does want both can subscribe to both lists, as you and I have.
This system works for all of the projects, and numerous other OS projects
everywhere.

d.

RE: Matcher/Mailet Library

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Danny,

> PS pls don't cross post, there are two lists for a reason.

I appreciate that, and gave it quite a bit of thought before cross-posting.
The consideration went along this line of reasoning:

To which list would you restrict this topic?  Users who don't care about
development subscribe only to the users list.  Developers who don't
necessarily care to hear from users, and are only interested in development
issues, subscribe to the developers list.  In this case, the topic should be
of interest to both populations.  If I post it only to the users list, any
developers not on that list wouldn't know of the idea.

RE: Matcher/Mailet Library

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
PS pls don't cross post, there are two lists for a reason..

RE: Matcher/Mailet Library

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Well, that's what I figured, too.  :-)

Any feedback on the outline I proposed in the first posting?  I was shooting
from the hip, so I would expect some improvement.

	--- Noel

Hell no, A library would be *great* help build momentum and community for
James users.
d.

RE: Matcher/Mailet Library

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.