Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> on 2010/07/28 17:05:31 UTC

Re: Some more speed improvement for basic operations

An update :

as of today (July 28th), I'm able to run the search perf test and obtain
those values :

June, 8th :
search : 19 727 search/s

July 28th : 35 812 search/s

NOTE : this is for a simple search (ie, OBJECT scope) and no entry in the
base. The test does not go through any network (though no BER
encoding/decoding). It just check the speed of the internal server.

Also it's interesting as it prove there is a wide margin of improvement in
the server itself.

>From the last test I did, I think we can gain 30 to 40% more by using a DN
cache (DN parsing and normalization count for 26% of the whole CPU), and we
have a spurious call to the hasEntry() method which costs 13,5% of the CPU.
The log system costs 2.75%, something we can also improve.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Some more speed improvement for basic operations

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> wrote:
> An update :
>
> as of today (July 28th), I'm able to run the search perf test and obtain
> those values :
>
> June, 8th :
> search : 19 727 search/s
>
> July 28th : 35 812 search/s
this is great :)

> NOTE : this is for a simple search (ie, OBJECT scope) and no entry in the
> base. The test does not go through any network (though no BER
> encoding/decoding). It just check the speed of the internal server.
>
> Also it's interesting as it prove there is a wide margin of improvement in
> the server itself.
>
> From the last test I did, I think we can gain 30 to 40% more by using a DN
> cache (DN parsing and normalization count for 26% of the whole CPU), and we
> have a spurious call to the hasEntry() method which costs 13,5% of the CPU.
> The log system costs 2.75%, something we can also improve.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Cordialement,
> Emmanuel Lécharny