Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by Brandon Rife <br...@dejazzd.com> on 2001/04/04 14:53:09 UTC

2.1 Questions

Hello to all,

We've been using a modified Soap 2.0.  The modifications entailed the
creation of a Deserializer that would handle null values within object
arrays and changes to various server and client side classes that allowed us
to deflate/inflate the SOAP payload within the socket output and input
streams.

We now want to upgrade to 2.1 because of the https support.  When compiling
our app using 2.1 we've noticed that the Deserializer interface has changed.
Does 2.1 handle null values within object arrays?  If so, we can just toss
our current deserializer....

Also, in looking at the code for the RPCRouterServlet, its obvious that it
has changed quite a bit.  Can someone point me in the right direction as far
as what would be the proper way to override the out stream output to
implement our deflation.

Thanks,
Brandon

Re: 2.1 Questions

Posted by Glen Daniels <gd...@allaire.com>.
Hi Brandon!

> We now want to upgrade to 2.1 because of the https support.  When
> compiling our app using 2.1 we've noticed that the Deserializer
> interface has changed.  Does 2.1 handle null values within object
> arrays?  If so, we can just toss our current deserializer....

I'll take this one - the code that's currently in CVS does in fact do this,
but you won't find it in the 2.1 release.  There have also been several
other upgrades + fixes since 2.1, so if you can I would recommend grabbing
the latest nightly build and using that.

--Glen

Re: 2.1 Questions

Posted by Wouter Cloetens <wo...@mind.be>.
On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 08:53:09AM -0400, Brandon Rife wrote:

> Also, in looking at the code for the RPCRouterServlet, its obvious that it
> has changed quite a bit.  Can someone point me in the right direction as far
> as what would be the proper way to override the out stream output to
> implement our deflation.

Hmm, "deflation". Care to elaborate on that? Did you implement compression of
the SOAP envelope?

SOAP 2.1 introduces an additional layer between the SOAP and the transport
functionality, to support MIME attachments and other transport protocols
than HTTP. See http://workspot.net/~zombie/soap/#mimemp for a description
of how the MIME envelope encapsulates the SOAP envelope. Where your changes
belong, depends on what your goal is. Compression could be implemented on
the MIME layer or on the SOAP layer. The transport layer, where, as your
reference to RPCRouterServlet and "a way to override the out stream" suggests
you may have implemented it, would be a bad choice IMO because other
transport types would not benefit from the solution, and neither would
Messaging (with its own servlet). Take a look at TransportMessage instead.

bfn, Wouter