Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Jacob Rhoden <ja...@me.com> on 2014/02/03 09:44:47 UTC

Update cassandra from perl 5.8

Hi,

We’ve got a legacy application on Perl 5.8, don’t want to upgrade the server for fear of something breaking. However for redundancy, It would be great if I could update the app so it writes to both the existing database, and cassandra. The Perl drivers appear to require perl 5.10+

    https://github.com/mkjellman/perlcassa
    https://metacpan.org/pod/Net::Async::CassandraCQL

Just thought I would ask the list in the off chance that someone might know of an alternate way to solve this problem or shoehorn a perl driver onto this server.

One option is nightly bulk data export, but I’d rather avoid that if possible.

Thanks,
Jacob

Re: Update cassandra from perl 5.8

Posted by Jacob Rhoden <ja...@me.com>.
Hi Paul,

I think some of the dependencies, like Snappy also require perl 5.10. If its not too difficult to get it to work in perl 5.8 it would be very much appreciated. If its a lot of work I wouldn’t want to waste your time, after all who still depends on perl 5.8? (:

(I can always resort to doing nightly dumps and transforms of the mysql database, but its no where near as good as having real time cassandra updates)

Thanks!
Jacob