Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2008/02/14 10:08:59 UTC

Re: [build] ant target naming consistency

On 13 February 2008 at 21:32, "Nathan Beyer" <nd...@apache.org> wrote:
> Does anyone object to normalizing the names of the Ant targets? The
> mixed use of '-' and '_' is starting to push me over the edge. As an
> example, here's the targets available in the top-level of the
> federated build.
>
>  build-all        build complete implementation
>  bundle_src       assemble source snapshot
>  default          setup and build complete implementation
>  make-snapshot    setup and build complete src + binaries set
>  populate_source  checkout the class library and VM source trees
>  reset            removes vm and classlib dirs and resets
>
> I'd like to just use '-' across the board.

+1

As a low priority, we should also try to be consistent in using names starting
with '-' for all targets that don't form part of the api and including good
descriptions for those that do.

> We can maintain the previous targets for a while via redirects and put
> in some deprecation statements.

I would be inclined to have the old targets just fail with a message
containing the new target name.  That is, force people to change rather
than letting the depreciated targets work by calling the new targets automatically.

Regards,
 Mark.

Re: [build] ant target naming consistency

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
+1, make sense IMO. I never liked this mix of '-' and  '_' .

Regards,
Alexei