Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Vasudeva Rao <va...@tavant.com> on 2005/12/10 07:54:20 UTC

index databases

hi there

are there any APIs which will index mysql databases and run periodically ?
i have one more query: if i choose to search on multiple fields do i loose
the advantage of fuzzy search and stuff like that
plz give some suggestions

vasu

Re: index databases

Posted by Chris Lu <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 12/10/05, Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> wrote:
> : are there any APIs which will index mysql databases and run periodically ?
>
> I'll defer that question to someone else who knows more about it.

I may not know more than most people. But to index databases and run
periodically, you need a server instead of a simple API.
And you need to take care of notifying the searcher when you have new
index created if you want to cache the searcher for high performance.

I welcome you to take a look at DBSight.net
It's meant to help rapidly add a google-like search for any database
content, for any new/existing websites.

Chris Lu

Re: index databases

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: are there any APIs which will index mysql databases and run periodically ?

I'll defer that question to someone else who knows more about it.

: i have one more query: if i choose to search on multiple fields do i loose
: the advantage of fuzzy search and stuff like that

Absolutely not.  Searching on multiple fields can be done with a
BooleanQuery, which allows you to compose multiple queries, each
"Sub-Clause" being either optional, required, or mandatory.  When building
up a BooleanQuery, the clauses can be term queres, or wild card queries or
any other type of query you want.

expressed in a "standard QueryParser syntax" you can easily do the
following...

    +title:Java author:Erik~ -category:Coffee

...which means find all documents where the title contains the word "Java"
and category does not contain the word "Coffee".  Documents with a word in
the author that has a fuzzy match on "Erik" will get higher scores.

More info on the QueryParser syntax can be found here...

http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/queryparsersyntax.html

-Hoss