Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> on 2011/12/01 07:03:58 UTC

Online demo uploaded

Hi all,
following on from the other recent thread about growing our community, I've
been working on an online demo.

Mike Burton has kindly offered to host it for us, but in the meantime it is
available as a standalone WAR.  I've linked to it from the demos page at
Restful Objects <http://restfulobjects.org/demos>.

If you get chance, I'd appreciate any feedback, especially the supporting
documentation.

Thx
Dan

Re: Online demo uploaded (V02)

Posted by Mike Burton <mi...@mycosystems.co.uk>.
Hi Dan,

OK I've deployed that, and checked both JSON console (by following the online app's built-in documentation) and Html viewer- looks good!

I missed it at first but online documentation /does/ state:
I needed to register sven/pass first,  in order to login as it, not sure whether this would be the case for all sessions or just when the webapp or server restarts.

Best Regards

Mike Burton

Re: Online demo uploaded (V02)

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
Hi Mike/all,

Re: Online demo uploaded (V02)

Posted by Mike Burton <mi...@mycosystems.co.uk>.

Re: Online demo uploaded (V02)

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.

Re: Online demo uploaded (V02)

Posted by Mike Burton <mi...@mycosystems.co.uk>.
Hi Dan,

Re: Online demo uploaded

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
Hi all,

Re: Online demo uploaded

Posted by Kevin Meyer - KMZ <ke...@kmz.co.za>.

Re: Online demo uploaded

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
Hi kev, yeah it's the same. Security is per a custom group header that I
invented keep; browse to index.html for the details. Dan

Re: Online demo uploaded [*smack*]

Posted by Kevin Meyer - KMZ <ke...@kmz.co.za>.
On 1 Dec 2011 at 9:17, Dan Haywood wrote:

> Still, if you are hitting issues, then others are bound to.

Hmm - I was in a bit of a hurry and didn't read the info properly.

> The main issue (apart from the slightly wacky swing console which appears
> because of the simplericity maven plugin that I'm using) is that browsing
> to http://localhost:8080/ returns a horrid looking stack trace, whereas if
> the user browses to http://localhost:8080/index.html, then (I think) the
> experience is quite good.

Indeed - the default stack trace looks really bad.

Is it a big deal the user "proper" authentication - I'm having issues with
being unable to provide custom headers to some of the REST viewers
for Firefox (I don't use Chrome).

> My thought I had this morning was to write a simple filter that checks the
> Accept header, and if it is set to text/html (eg being accessed from a
> browser), then do a redirect to index.html.  That hopefully will improve
> matters.
>
> Do you agree?

Could be, could be...

Perhaps turn off authentication completely, for the demo? If possible.

Re: Online demo uploaded [*smack*]

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.

Posted by Kevin Meyer - KMZ <ke...@kmz.co.za>.

Re: Online demo uploaded

Posted by Kevin Meyer - KMZ <ke...@kmz.co.za>.

Re: Online demo uploaded

Posted by Kevin Meyer - KMZ <ke...@kmz.co.za>.
Hi Dan,

Re: Online demo uploaded

Posted by Mike Burton <mi...@mycosystems.co.uk>.
Hi Dan,

I've only tried html viewer, not JSON viewer, will give that a go tomorrow.

Where in deployed war should I see the JSON viewer /  services?

Mike

Re: Online demo uploaded

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
Thanks for this Mike.