Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/20 18:34:33 UTC

Javadoc with Java 8

The Javadoc that comes with Java 8 is very picky, and generates errors
(rather than warnings) for all sorts of incorrect tags - for example

This new doclint behaviour can be disabled by providing the command-line param

-Xdoclint:none

Unfortunately this causes Javadoc 7 to complain...

Ideally, we should gradually work through the Javadoc fixing the errors.

In the meantime, I have changed Continuum to build http core using
Java 7 (it was defaulting to Java8).

It would be possible to update the poms to conditionally suppress
doclint for Java 8, but I'm not sure that is the best approach.

[1] http://blog.joda.org/2014/02/turning-off-doclint-in-jdk-8-javadoc.html

Re: Javadoc with Java 8

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2014-08-21 at 14:54 +0200, Francois-Xavier Bonnet wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> When do you need it to be done?

There is no time-line for that. This needs to be done before 5.0 is
branched out in order to minimize / reduce merge conflicts.

Oleg

Re: Javadoc with Java 8

Posted by Francois-Xavier Bonnet <fr...@centraliens.net>.
Hi Oleg,

When do you need it to be done?

Re: Javadoc with Java 8

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 8:13 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-08-21 at 02:43 -0400, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > I think we should not disable doclint on Java 8.
> >
> > Gary
> >

> Folks,
>
> I can take care of javadoc cleanups for HttpCore, as I would like to
> branch out 5.0 development branch sometime soon. I would really
> appreciate if someone could do the same for HttpClient or
> HttpAsyncClient.

I dd HttpClient's modules and some other bits in other modules.

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/