Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by petite_abeille <pe...@mac.com> on 2003/10/04 20:55:03 UTC

Index locked for write

[Posted to Dev by mistake]
[Reposted to User]
[Sorry for the mess]

Hello,

I recently updated from 1.3 RC1 to the latest cvs version. RC1 has
proven very reliable for me, but I needed Dmitry compound index
functionality. Therefore the move to the cvs version.

I have been using 1.3 RC1 without any problem. But... since updating to
the cvs version, I'm getting a lot of apparently random IOException
related to locking:

java.io.IOException: Index locked for write:
Lock@/tmp/lucene-5b228139f8fe55f7c74441a7d59f8f89-write.lock
         at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:173)
         at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:150)

This is most likely due to some problem on my side, but for the life of
me I cannot track it down nor reproduce it :(

Also, the only change related to Lucene on my side was the update from
1.3 RC1 to the cvs version. Perhaps this has triggered a "dormant" bug
in my app. Or perhaps something has changed in the cvs version which
impact me negatively. Other way, I'm at loss.

My guess would be that this is most likely a threading issue. On my
side, I use a very conservative threading which supposedly synchronized
any access to Lucene. And this hasn't changed for a good while.

Any idea where I should look in such a situation? Any "significant"
changes related to locking on Lucene side?

For the record, this problem seems to mostly manifest itself under Mac
OS X, running Java 1.4.1_01.

Thanks.

Cheers,

PA.