Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2004/08/30 11:39:53 UTC

[repost] Cocoon GetTogether 2004 Call for Proposals

(Don't be shy, let's make this happen!!!)

Dear all,

For the third year in a row, the Apache Cocoon GetTogether is back.
Same place (Ghent - Belgium) and almost same time (October 11th-12th).

In the next few weeks we will spread more details about the happening.
We are still looking however for folks coming on stage and talking
about all things Cocoon. People who want to present during the
GetTogether are kindly requested to send in a presentation proposal.
Introductory, tutorial-like stuff into new or advanced topics are much
appreciated - cases and public RTs as well. Please send in your
presentation proposal to gt2004-speaking at orixo.com before September
7th - see below for a template to help you in filling out a proposal.

GUIDELINES FOR SUBMITTING A PROPOSAL

Do not include proprietary or confidential material in your proposals.
We will assume that you do not consider any material included in the
proposals to be confidential. All conference presentations are
vendor-agnostic and should focus on technology. Your proposal should
contain the following information:

1. Proposed title for the talk/session/debate.
2. Brief outline or abstract of the talk/session/debate
    * Please be as concise as possible.
    * Please write in third-person context.
    * Please list any prerequisite sessions or knowledge you feel is
essential.
    * Indicate, if applicable, if this is a beginning or advanced talk.
3. For all proposed speakers, include: speaker name, title, company,
address, email, phone number, fax and website.
4. Biography for the proposed speaker(s) (not to exceed 250 words).
5. Primary contact/founder name, title, company, address, email and
phone number.

DEADLINE for proposal : September 7th, 2004

Proposals should be sent to: gt2004-speaking at orixo.com.

All speakers are required to submit copies of their presentations at
least 2 weeks before the conference. These presentations will be
included in the conference notes. All presentations will be made
available after the conference in electronic (PDF) format.

</Steven> - GT puppet
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [repost] Cocoon GetTogether 2004 Call for Proposals

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Sylvain Wallez dijo:
> Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>

>> On 30 Aug 2004, at 10:39, Steven Noels wrote:
>>
>>> People who want to present during the GetTogether are kindly
>>> requested to send in a presentation proposal. Introductory,
>>> tutorial-like stuff into new or advanced topics are much appreciated
>>> - cases and public RTs as well.
>>

>> I would love to see a presentation about how/why/when to use the
>> <fd:union/> <fd:struct/> <fd:class/> stuff in CForms, I personally
>> never groked this aspect of the forms framework and I suspect a lot of
>> others have not as well.
>>
>> Sorry for the OT.
>

> We've done some fairly complex stuff with it. So I can do a
> tutorial/demo presentation on this, including also some nasty flowscript
> stuff ;-)

+1. It is a good idea.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [repost] Cocoon GetTogether 2004 Call for Proposals

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Jeremy Quinn wrote:

> On 30 Aug 2004, at 10:39, Steven Noels wrote:
>
>> People who want to present during the GetTogether are kindly
>> requested to send in a presentation proposal. Introductory,
>> tutorial-like stuff into new or advanced topics are much appreciated
>> - cases and public RTs as well.
>

> I would love to see a presentation about how/why/when to use the
> <fd:union/> <fd:struct/> <fd:class/> stuff in CForms, I personally
> never groked this aspect of the forms framework and I suspect a lot of
> others have not as well.
>
> Sorry for the OT.

We've done some fairly complex stuff with it. So I can do a
tutorial/demo presentation on this, including also some nasty flowscript
stuff ;-)

Sylvain

Re: [repost] Cocoon GetTogether 2004 Call for Proposals

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
Hi,

On 30 Aug 2004, at 18:18, Matthew Langham wrote:

> Basically the attendees arrange the sessions themselves. At EuroFoo we
> used a wiki to submit presentations we wanted to hold.

Ok, so pretty much what we did with the hackathon last year and this
year.

> To be honest I think this would be ok if the whole event was a
> hackathon - but many people attending a "conference" would expect a
> set schedule.

Yes, I think the pre-planned element is required, too - so people know
what they are getting on at least one of the days.

Anyone got any 5 minute lightning talks they'd like to propose? I guess
send them in to gt2004-speaking at orixo.com, and if there's enough
interest, we can put aside a slot for them.

Andrew.

Tel: +44 (0)870 741 6658  Fax: +44 (0)700 598 1135
Web: http://www.luminas.co.uk/
Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/

Re: [repost] Cocoon GetTogether 2004 Call for Proposals

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@s-und-n.de>.

> Not been to (or read much on) foocamp ... could you give me a bit more
> detail on what you mean?

Basically the attendees arrange the sessions themselves. At EuroFoo we
used a wiki to submit presentations we wanted to hold. Other attendees
would then add their names as a "sign of approval". On the first
evening of EuroFoo the sessions were then entered onto large
whiteboards (that contained the times and rooms). The whiteboard was
constantly changed during the weekend as people added/cancelled
sessions or moved them around to avoid conflicts.

To be honest I think this would be ok if the whole event was a
hackathon - but many people attending a "conference" would expect a set
schedule. And I think that splitting the GT between a hackathon and a
"normal" conference like day is the best way to go (for all groups of
attendees - especially corporate :-)).

> Maybe 'lightning talks' would be fun, too ...

This however may be an interesting addition. Basically people can
submit 5 minute talks that are then held in a single session
back-to-back. A moderator keeps time and pulls the people off the stage
once the 5 mins are up.

Matthew

Re: [repost] Cocoon GetTogether 2004 Call for Proposals

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
Hi,

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

--
Stefano.

Re: [repost] Cocoon GetTogether 2004 Call for Proposals

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.

Andrew Savory wrote:

>> I suggest (not volunteer) following workshops/presentations
>>
>> - "Thinking in Flow"
>> - "CForms Unleashed"
>

> I'm looking at offering a very basic "hands on CForms" workshop during
> the hackathon, for those that haven't had a chance to look at it yet and
> want to know where to start. Not confirmed yet, though...

Cool!

As i've just passed the hello-world mark myself, anyone up for the more
advanced classes?

Re: [repost] Cocoon GetTogether 2004 Call for Proposals

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 30 août 04, à 17:53, Andrew Savory a écrit :
> ...I'm looking at offering a very basic "hands on CForms" workshop
> during the hackathon, for those that haven't had a chance to look at
> it yet and want to know where to start. Not confirmed yet, though...

FYI I'm thinking of suggesting a short "what you *need* to know about
Cocoon", talk that would outline what people need to learn (and not
learn) and what kind of skills are needed to be productive with Cocoon.

It might fit nicely with a hands-on CForms tutorial, as I wouldn't go
into details about them.

-Bertrand

Re: [repost] Cocoon GetTogether 2004 Call for Proposals

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
Hi,

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 30 Aug 2004, at 12:12, Jeremy Quinn wrote:

> I would love to see a presentation about how/why/when to use the
> <fd:union/> <fd:struct/> <fd:class/> stuff in CForms, I personally
> never groked this aspect of the forms framework and I suspect a lot of
> others have not as well.
>
> Sorry for the OT.

Why that? Seems like a very interesting topic. Other suggestions (and
hopefully also volunteering speakers) are very much welcome!

Thanks,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [repost] Cocoon GetTogether 2004 Call for Proposals

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
On 30 Aug 2004, at 10:39, Steven Noels wrote:

> People who want to present during the GetTogether are kindly requested
> to send in a presentation proposal. Introductory, tutorial-like stuff
> into new or advanced topics are much appreciated - cases and public
> RTs as well.

I would love to see a presentation about how/why/when to use the
<fd:union/> <fd:struct/> <fd:class/> stuff in CForms, I personally
never groked this aspect of the forms framework and I suspect a lot of
others have not as well.

Sorry for the OT.

regards Jeremy

                                 IT IS NOT FROM ME