Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Volkan Yazıcı <vo...@yazi.ci> on 2022/11/12 13:41:31 UTC

Exposing internal testing facilities (was: ETA for 2.19.1?)

I am concerned that users rely on test modules intended for internal usage.
I would rather skip all `*-test` modules during deployment. I am not
against shiping testing utilities for public consumption. But, AFAIC, these
modules were never intended for that purpose. This might bite us in the
long run since users would expect backward compatibility, which I expect to
be notably broken (for test modules!) in 3.0 release anyway.

Posted by Matt Sicker <ma...@musigma.org>.
We’d need to cover a few test scenarios:

* Test fixtures for API
* Test fixtures for Core
* Test plugins for testing the plugin processor (need to break the dependency cycle here, hence the existence of log4j-plugins-test)

The first two things should be published like you said, while the rest can be kept as test-only or at least ignored during publishing.
—
Matt Sicker

Posted by Volkan Yazıcı <vo...@yazi.ci>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
FWIW, I think it is fair to say that we don’t have the same compatibility requirements
for our test artifacts as we do for the stuff used at runtime. That said, we can easily
say that classes used in multiple places throughout Log4j are less likely to change in
an incompatible way simply due to the effort required to do it.

Ralph

Posted by Matt Sicker <ma...@musigma.org>.
The fact that the test fixture stuff has been moved into log4j-core-test instead of log4j-core:tests makes it easier to support I think.
—
Matt Sicker

> On Nov 12, 2022, at 09:50, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> FWIW,
>
> I reply on some of the test framework like JUnit rules in work projects, it
> would be lame to have to reinvent the wheel.
>
> Gary
>
> On Sat, Nov 12, 2022, 08:41 Volkan Yazıcı <vo...@yazi.ci> wrote:
>
>> I am concerned that users rely on test modules intended for internal usage.
>> I would rather skip all `*-test` modules during deployment. I am not
>> against shiping testing utilities for public consumption. But, AFAIC, these
>> modules were never intended for that purpose. This might bite us in the
>> long run since users would expect backward compatibility, which I expect to
>> be notably broken (for test modules!) in 3.0 release anyway.

—
Matt Sicker

Re: Exposing internal testing facilities (was: ETA for 2.19.1?)

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
FWIW,