Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dennis Foreman <df...@stny.rr.com> on 2003/04/01 03:02:53 UTC

[users@httpd] ~users in a domain

Hello all,

My windows XP system is on a LAN within our university domain, so the
profile for my userid is FOREMAN.wtsn (where wtsn is the internal LAN name).

For example, dforeman.cs.binghamton.edu/~foreman.wtsn would be the URL. And
my <Directory> statements specify the actual folder that contains my files
(public_html). (The site is not currently running.)

Is there a way to specify multiple such userids in a <Directory> statement
or by using Alias or Aliasmatch, such that requestors do NOT have to know
and use the LAN part of the ID?

It is not clear from the Apache manual whether regular expressions can be
used inside a <Directory> or not, and if so, how to use them to specify
their use for ~ references.

I need a URL that works for internal and external users.

Could someone send me a few examples?

regards,
D. J. Foreman, Ph. D.
website: http://WWW.CS.Binghamton.EDU/~foreman

Re: [users@httpd] ~users in a domain

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Dennis Foreman wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> My windows XP system is on a LAN within our university domain, so the
> profile for my userid is FOREMAN.wtsn (where wtsn is the internal LAN name).
>
> For example, dforeman.cs.binghamton.edu/~foreman.wtsn would be the URL. And
> my <Directory> statements specify the actual folder that contains my files
> (public_html). (The site is not currently running.)
>
> Is there a way to specify multiple such userids in a <Directory> statement
> or by using Alias or Aliasmatch, such that requestors do NOT have to know
> and use the LAN part of the ID?
>
> It is not clear from the Apache manual whether regular expressions can be
> used inside a <Directory> or not, and if so, how to use them to specify
> their use for ~ references.
>
> I need a URL that works for internal and external users.
>
> Could someone send me a few examples?

It is almost impossible to decipher what it is you want to do.  Perhaps if
you supplied some examples of what you want URLs to look like and where in
the filesystem they should map to people would be able to help.  Any help
I tried to give based on what you wrote would just be guessing about what
you mean.

A good place to start is:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/urlmapping.html

Joshua.