Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Andy Lester <an...@petdance.com> on 2021/12/03 15:12:26 UTC

Is the showItems argument for fieldValueCache used for anything?

It looks to me like the showItems argument for the fieldValueCache is not used.  I can’t find any documentation of it, although it was mentioned in the changelog for v8.1.0.

I looked through the source and I can’t see where the value is used. It gets a default value, but never seems to be used, based on my understanding of the source code.

$ grep -w showItems -R .
./solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/core/SolrConfig.java:        args.put("showItems", "-1");
./solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/search/SolrCache.java:  String SHOW_ITEMS_PARAM = "showItems";
./solr/core/src/test-files/solr/configsets/exitable-directory/conf/solrconfig.xml:                showItems="0" />
./solr/server/solr/configsets/_default/conf/solrconfig.xml:                        showItems="32" />
./solr/server/solr/configsets/sample_techproducts_configs/conf/solrconfig.xml:                        showItems="32" />
./solr/CHANGES.txt:* SOLR-13432: Add .toString methods to BitDocSet and SortedIntDocSet so that enabling "showItems" on the filter caches

$ grep -w SHOW_ITEMS_PARAM -R .
./solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/search/SolrCache.java:  String SHOW_ITEMS_PARAM = "showItems”;

Is it a leftover from long ago?  If so, I’ll put in a patch to remove its last vestiges from the source and from the sample config files.

Thanks,
Andy

Re: Is the showItems argument for fieldValueCache used for anything?

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@apache.org>.
The first comment mentioned FastLRUCache deprecation, and IIRC it was the
only impl which supported showItems.
However, I can't find a ticket dedicated for its removal. So, forget.

--
Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev

Re: Is the showItems argument for fieldValueCache used for anything?

Posted by Andy Lester <an...@petdance.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@apache.org>.
Hi, Andy.

--