Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Hemant Ved <he...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/16 12:59:27 UTC

Version Management

Hi

Can Maven be used as a Version mangement tool? Is it possible to automate
the Version management using Maven?

Thanks and Regards
Hemant Ved

RE: Version Management

Posted by Arne Styve <as...@offsimcentre.no>.
Hi Hermant,

No, Maven cannot be used as a Version management tool. Maven is a build
tool, an advanced build tool. You can, however, interact with a version
management tool (like Subversion) from within Maven, so that Maven
performs checking in and checking out (commit and update) to and from
Subversion for you as part of the automated build process.

Regards
Arne

Re: Version Management

Posted by Edward Yakop <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

You can either use <dependencyManagement> and version range to
minimize constant update to your dependencies.

Regards,
Edward Yakop

Note:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Dependency+Mediation+and+Conflict+Resolution#DependencyMediationandConflictResolution-DependencyVersionRanges
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/best+practices+-+version+management+in+multi+project+bu

RE: Version Management

Posted by "Kusunam, Srinivas" <SK...@rlpt.com>.
What do you mean by "version management"? We do use maven to add
specific tags at the end of project.xml with every Build something like
following.

  <versions>
    <version>
      <id>1.0.2</id>
      <name>1.0.2</name>

<tag>LGB_reFUEL_ServiceOrchestration_DEVGRP_dev_JAVA14_051018_2</tag>
    </version>
    <version>
      <id>1.1</id>
      <name>1.1</name>

<tag>LGB_reFUEL_ServiceOrchestration_QAGRP_test_JAVA14_051102_1</tag>
    </version>
    <version>
      <id>1.2</id>
      <name>1.2</name>

<tag>LGB_reFUEL_ServiceOrchestration_QAGRP_test_JAVA14_051115_2</tag>
    </version>
    <version>
      <id>1.3</id>
      <name>1.3</name>

<tag>LGB_reFUEL_ServiceOrchestration_QAGRP_test_JAVA14_051117_3</tag>
    </version>
 </versions>