Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/01 00:50:07 UTC

Re: [beanutils] describe() has strange behavior for collection properties ([BEANUTILS-409])

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to have some feedback on [BEANUTILS-409] - 'describe' method
> returning Incorrect array value [1]. If a bean has an array or collection
> property describe will only return the first entry of this member.
> This is, because for describe() properties are converted to strings by
> PropertyUtils. PropertyUtils calls ConvertUtils.convert(Object) and this in
> turn will only convert the first entry of an array or collection (because
> of o.a.c.beanutils.converters.AbstractConverters lines 212-227).
>
> Is this intended for describe? Then it should be documented in the JavaDoc
> of describe. Else we can implement a fix for this :)

I commented on the JIRA.

Niall

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 8:09 AM, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> HI Naill
>

> 2013/3/1 Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>
>
>> On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'd like to have some feedback on [BEANUTILS-409] - 'describe' method
>> > returning Incorrect array value [1]. If a bean has an array or collection
>> > property describe will only return the first entry of this member.
>> > This is, because for describe() properties are converted to strings by
>> > PropertyUtils. PropertyUtils calls ConvertUtils.convert(Object) and this
>> in
>> > turn will only convert the first entry of an array or collection (because
>> > of o.a.c.beanutils.converters.AbstractConverters lines 212-227).
>> >
>> > Is this intended for describe? Then it should be documented in the
>> JavaDoc
>> > of describe. Else we can implement a fix for this :)
>>
>> I commented on the JIRA.
>>

> Thanks for the input. Do you have some spare time to work on a new release?
> Your comments would be really helpful.

Hi Benedikt,

Not sure, I don't have much time for commons these days. I will try
though, but apologies if I let you down. Good to see you taking up the
reins though - thanks for that.

Niall

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
HI Naill