Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Wesley T. Scott" <TS...@uwyo.edu> on 2003/10/13 19:21:54 UTC

[users@httpd] Win32 Source for 1.3.28

I am trying to locate an Apache downloadable for 1.3.28 that contains
only the Windows source, not source and binaries. The documentation
indicates that I should search for an archive named similarly to
httpd-*VERSION*-win32-src.zip. Such a file is linked on the download
page for 2.0.47 and months ago I was able to find one for 1.3.27 but am
having no luck now for 1.3.28. If someone would please point me to the
right location, or explain the recommended method to obtain just the
source code for 1.3.28 suitable to build on Windows platforms I would
appreciate it greatly?

Thanks,
Troy

Re: [users@httpd] Win32 Source for 1.3.28

Posted by hunter <th...@sympatico.ca>.
On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 13:21, Wesley T. Scott wrote:
> I am trying to locate an Apache downloadable for 1.3.28 that contains
> only the Windows source, not source and binaries. The documentation
> indicates that I should search for an archive named similarly to
> httpd-*VERSION*-win32-src.zip. Such a file is linked on the download
> page for 2.0.47 and months ago I was able to find one for 1.3.27 but am
> having no luck now for 1.3.28. If someone would please point me to the
> right location, or explain the recommended method to obtain just the
> source code for 1.3.28 suitable to build on Windows platforms I would
> appreciate it greatly?
>
> Thanks,
> Troy

Troy,

I build Apache Windows binaries that includes mod_ssl and OpenSSL for
the international community.

http://hunter.campbus.com
http://tor.ath.cx/~hunter/apache

I have not seen Windows specific source for Apache 1.3.28 - I use the
UNIX source. It builds Windows binaries just fine.

The instructions you have refer to Apache2 - Apache 1.3.28 is still
heavily used but if you do not have a specific reason for using it you
should use Apache2.

These links will get you going...

http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi

Select a mirror - I sometimes use http://apache.mirorred.ca

Unix Source: apache_1.3.28.tar.gz [PGP] [MD5]

Verify the MD5...

Unpack the source into a directory...
Change directory to the src directory...

Look in makefile.win for help on syntax...

or

nmake -f makefile.win INSTDIR="c:\apache" install

Your code will be built and installed into "c:\apache"

If you read the notes at the bottom of the source listing you will see
that the UNIX source is essentially the same except that they use to
provide source in DOS/Windows CR/LF format.

I do nothing special to convert the files and build them on WindowsXP.
The tools are from PERL and CYGWIN (needed for Apache2) and they do not
mind the UNIX file format.  My editor, MASM and Microsoft Visual Studio
6 (nmake and cl) handle the UNIX files as well.

Hope this get you going...

-hunter