Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Taeho Kang <tk...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/03 08:56:11 UTC

Why is getTracker() method in JobTracker class no longer in 0.15.1 release?

Dear Hadoop Users and Developers,

It looks like getTracker() method in JobTracker class (to get a hold of a
running JobTracker instance) no longer exists for 0.15.1 release.
The reason I want an instance of JobTracker is to get some information about
the current and old job status.

Is there any other way that I can get an instance of JobTracker?
Also, what was the reason of removing getTracker() method? (I am just being
curious here...)

Thank you for all your help in advance,

/taeho

--
Taeho Kang [tkang.blogspot.com]

Re: Why is getTracker() method in JobTracker class no longer in 0.15.1 release?

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ar...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Taeho Kang wrote:
> Dear Hadoop Users and Developers,
>
> It looks like getTracker() method in JobTracker class (to get a hold of a
> running JobTracker instance) no longer exists for 0.15.1 release.
> The reason I want an instance of JobTracker is to get some information about
> the current and old job status.

Ugh! This looks like a non-backward compatible change introduced by
HADOOP-1819.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/hadoop/branches/branch-0.15/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/mapred/JobTracker.java?r1=573708&r2=575438&diff_format=h

I've opened http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-2516 for this.

Is this a 0.15.2 *blocker*?

> Is there any other way that I can get an instance of JobTracker?
> Also, what was the reason of removing getTracker() method? (I am just being
> curious here...)

For now, you could use the return value of JobTracker.startTracker (
http://lucene.apache.org/hadoop/docs/r0.15.1/api/org/apache/hadoop/mapred/JobTracker.html#startTracker(org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobConf)
)...

Sorry for the troubles. We need to make sure this doens't happen...

Arun