Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Nick Bauman <ni...@cortexity.com> on 2000/09/12 04:04:17 UTC

RE: Case Sensitivity in URLs (was RE: BugRat Report #92 was close d(apparently by: Craig R.)

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Peter V. Gadjokov wrote:

> >Your USENIX quote is fantastic!
>
> Glad you enjoyed it :)
>
> >Case-insensitivity in a filesystem is a HACK. Will always be a
> >HACK and only compounds the useablility problems it tries to solve.
> >It is also a "different design decision" too. So it looks nice on a
> >bulleted marketing prospectus.
>
> None of these (you think it is a HACK, you think it compounds usability
> problems it tries to solve and you think it looks good on a bulleted
> marketing prospectus) are good, justified technical reasons - in the
> way you've presented them now, they are simply your opinions. And

Not just my opinion. Putting the onus on me to prove why it's a
hack doesn't chage the fact that it's a hack. Fact is if you "get your
way" with issue it's going to cause porblems for me later when I have to
port your ".war" to UNIX, Netware or AS400, all of which run Tomcat, btw.

-Nick