Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Michael Zalewski <za...@optonline.net> on 2003/08/09 01:04:29 UTC

RE: (re)branding... Re: cvs commit:jakarta-poi/src/documentation/content/xdocs/hpsf internals.xml

I like 'hacked' and I like 'humble'

Since this is for marketing types, I propose 'happy' :)

Michael Zalewski

commit:jakarta-poi/src/documentation/content/xdocs/hpsf internals.xml

Hm, still not "professional". I think I'll browse my Oxford Dictionary.

Posted by Serge Huber2 <sh...@jahia.com>.
At 09:45 09.08.2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Okay guys, lets work on things we can agree on like porting file formats.
>These discussions (What to name it) go nowhere.  They have no logical
>conclusion and just start pitting people against each other.

+1 (although I don't have voting rights :)). Sorry for participating in the
mess.

Regards,
   Serge Huber.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Okay guys, lets work on things we can agree on like porting file formats.
These discussions (What to name it) go nowhere.  They have no logical
conclusion and just start pitting people against each other.

-Andy

On 8/9/03 3:31 AM, "Ryan Ackley" <sa...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> I think coming up with a new adjective that starts with 'H' is extremely
> silly. Its taking our marketing to a new low. I don't think we are on the
> lips of non-technical people. They don't discuss using us during happy hour.
> Conversations go more like this... "What's that geek Bob using to meet our
> deadline again? Apache something or other." Worst case they use the acronym
> "POI". When HSSF is brought up in a meetings people aren't like "We are
> using the Horrible Spreadsheet Format Library" or "The Horrible Spreadsheet
> Format API is helping us meet our requirements". They use the acronym
> instead and its probably forgotten 7 milliseconds later. Most
> marketing/manager types only care that they have a task/requirement that is
> met.
>
> Another objection is based on principle. I already have to sacrifice my
> sense of humor at work when it comes to stuff like this. Why do it for
> something most of us work on in our spare time. We shouldn't take ourselves
> so seriously that we lose a sense of humor.
>
> Ryan

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: (re)branding... Re: cvs commit:jakarta-poi/src/documentation/content/xdocs/hpsf internals.xml