Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Clark Breyman <cl...@breyman.com> on 2014/02/15 01:32:04 UTC

ZK 3.4.5 compatibility

Is anyone running 0.8 (or pre-0.8.1) with the latest Zookeeper? Any known
compatibility issues? I didn't see any in JIRA but thought I'd give a
shout.

Re: ZK 3.4.5 compatibility

Posted by Robert Withers <ro...@gmail.com>.
I was thinking more about this.  Successfully writing a block of msgs to HDFS represents that atomic commit, downstream.  However, it is not a 2 or 3-phase transaction, with rollback.  The issue is the difference in scope of a downstream aggregate commit and an exactly once upstream commit.  I started on an aggregating consumer, but since the iterator is blocking, it is a bit wonky.  Either a non-blocking next() to the iterator (throw an exception if no msg available) or a nextMsgs() to get a block of msgs would help a lot.  Doing so within a 2 or 3-phase transaction would be a bonus.

Re: ZK 3.4.5 compatibility

Posted by charlie robert <ch...@icloud.com>.
Yes, our use is not an atomic commit coordinated between kafka and Hadoop, but best effort.  We err on the side of no duplicates and minimal loss, but the loss is understood and acceptable, so far.  How could that aggregate commit be made atomic - XA?  I wish there was a good high-available, p2p DTP solution.

On Feb 15, 2014, at 2:34 PM, Clark Breyman <cl...@breyman.com> wrote:

> Robert - "exactly once" will be really hard unless you can commit the
> offset with the aggregate in an atomic way downstream. That would defend
> you against redeliveries (ignore updates from lower offset) while allowing
> you to be more failure tolerant on the consuming side.
>

> On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Robert Withers <robert.w.withers@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>
>> We have this version in prod.  It has been fine as we commitOffsets after
>> every message.  After 3 months of this, we rolled out Hadoop, which
>> requires aggregation.  We started commiting every 2 minutes and we saw that
>> the fetchr would get tangled and stop fetching and the consumer would get
>> stuck blocking on the iterator.  We changed back to after every msg and no
>> issues.
>>
>> NB: could we use the high level consumer and consume blocks of msgs at a
>> time?  Then commitOffsets on the block?  This would help the exactly once
>> of an aggregating consumer.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Robert
>>
>>> On Feb 15, 2014, at 12:55 PM, Clark Breyman <cl...@breyman.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Bae. I'll report back with our experiences.

>> your

- charlie

Re: ZK 3.4.5 compatibility

Posted by Clark Breyman <cl...@breyman.com>.

Re: ZK 3.4.5 compatibility

Posted by Robert Withers <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: ZK 3.4.5 compatibility

Posted by Clark Breyman <cl...@breyman.com>.

Re: ZK 3.4.5 compatibility

Posted by "Bae, Jae Hyeon" <me...@gmail.com>.

Re: ZK 3.4.5 compatibility

Posted by Todd Palino <tp...@linkedin.com>.

Re: ZK 3.4.5 compatibility

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
It should be api compatible. Not sure how stable ZK 3.4.5 is though.

Thanks,

Jun