Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2017/04/03 00:08:15 UTC

Branding Avatica

(This is a discussion for the Calcite PMC, but I am using the dev list because there is no need for the conversation to be private.)

Avatica is currently just a library produced by the Apache Calcite project, not even formally a sub-project (some examples of sub-projects are Derby within Apache DB, and Solr within Lucene, but sub-projects are now discouraged).

So, I’m not sure whether it is appropriate to brand it “Apache Avatica” as I just saw on one site[1].

A reminder that it is our responsibility, as a PMC, to protect Apache's intellectual property by enforcing brands. We need to know what our brands are, then we need to reach out to people who are referencing our brands and make sure that they use them appropriately.

I am inclined to think that we should use “Avatica, a sub-project of Apache Calcite”. Or should we start pushing for “Apache Avatica”?

Julian

[1] https://github.com/knq/usql#database-support <https://github.com/knq/usql#database-support>

Re: Branding Avatica

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Superb. In the spirit of doing, I just sent a note to trademarks@ to
clarify the above plan, ask if we should do a namesearch (or similar
task), and if any of them had other suggestions.

Re: Branding Avatica

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Re: Branding Avatica

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.