Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/10 10:29:26 UTC

[RELEASE][PROPOSAL]: annoncement

Hi,

I started to prepare the release announcement

#####
The Apache OpenOffice project is pleased to announce the immediate
availability of OpenOffice 4.1.0 Beta  You can download it from our
website [1].

The 4.1.0 Beta update includes many bug fixes as well as new
translations: Bulgarian, Danish, Hindi, Norwegian Bokmål and Thai.

Highlight of this new version is the integrated iAccessible2 support
that is a huge milestone to support users with disabilities better on
the windows platform.

Details of new features and enhancements in this release are described
in the Release Notes [2].

Those interested in the source code can download it via the links on
this page [3].

Regards,

???, Apache OpenOffice Project Management Committee

[1] http://www.openoffice.org/download/

[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1+Release+Notes

[3] https://openoffice.apache.org/downloads.html
#####

Re: [RELEASE][PROPOSAL]: annoncement

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 3/10/14 11:31 AM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 03/10/2014 10:29 AM, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I started to prepare the release announcement
>>
>> #####
>> The Apache OpenOffice project is pleased to announce the immediate
>> availability of OpenOffice 4.1.0 Beta  You can download it from our
>> website [1].
>>
>> The 4.1.0 Beta update includes many bug fixes as well as new
>> translations: Bulgarian, Danish, Hindi, Norwegian Bokmål and Thai.
>>
>> Highlight of this new version is the integrated iAccessible2 support
>> that is a huge milestone to support users with disabilities better on
>> the windows platform.
>
> I find this interesting to note, too:
>
> - In-place editing of input fields
>
> The user can now modify the content of an input field directly in the
> document's text area - no additional pop-up dialogs are needed.
>
> - Load/import of 3D charts improved
>
> A performance problem with documents that contains big 3D charts while
> containing 100x100x5 vertical 3D data boxes) could not be imported at
> all. It can now be loaded in seconds.
>
> - Improved graphic modifications/filters for vector graphics
>
> When applying modifications and/or filters to graphic objects the change
> was often applied by internally changing the vector graphic (SVG or
> metafile) to a pixel-based variant. This makes the advantages of vector
> graphics vanish and often results in bad output quality for print and
> PDF export. Now all usages of vector data in graphic objects are equally
> improved for this aspect and in the future.
>
> - Changed OS X support to 64-bit (OS X 10.7 and newer)
>
> To guarantee a continuous but also better support of the OS X platform,
> a switch to 64-bit was necessary. However due to deprecated libraries
> this means also that OS X versions older than 10.7 cannot be supported
> anymore.
>
> @Herbert: I hope it's not too bad explained. Please change as you see
> fit. ;-)
>
> (BTW: This is not yet in the release notes [2])

I don't think we should list all thinks here, more details can we put in
a blog and of course in the release notes.

Accessibility support is only one very important highlight that will
address an important area. The other improvements are not less important
but I believe this is worth to mention. Especially because LO mentioned
that they are the first free office with this support. Even it is not
enabled by default ;-)

Juergen

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: [RELEASE][PROPOSAL]: revised annoncement

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
#####
The Apache OpenOffice project is pleased to announce the immediate
availability of OpenOffice 4.1.0 Beta  You can download it from our
website [1].

We release Beta versions of OpenOffice to get early feedback from
users.  Beta versions may have more bugs than GA releases and may not
be suitable for tasks which require the highest level of stability.
Beta versions are recommended for experienced users who are willing to
share their feedback with the OpenOffice project.

The 4.1.0 Beta update includes many bug fixes as well as new
translations: Bulgarian, Danish, Hindi, Norwegian Bokmål and Thai.

Highlight of this new version is the integrated iAccessible2 support
that is a huge milestone to support users with disabilities better on
the windows platform. It's the work of many month of development and QA.

Details of new features and enhancements in this release are described
in the Release Notes [2].

Those interested in the source code can download it via the links on
this page [3].

Bug reports can be entered in our Bugzilla database, details can be
found under [4].  Questions and other feedback, good or bad, can be sent
to our users mailing list at users@openoffice.apache.org.

Thanks in advance to our Beta Testers!

Regards,

Juergen Schmidt, Apache OpenOffice Release Manager and member of the
Project Management Committee

[1] http://www.openoffice.org/download/

[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1+Release+Notes

[3] https://openoffice.apache.org/downloads.html

[4] http://openoffice.apache.org/bug-tracking.html
#####

Re: [RELEASE][PROPOSAL]: annoncement

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 3/10/14 12:53 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 5:29 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I started to prepare the release announcement
>>
>> #####
>> The Apache OpenOffice project is pleased to announce the immediate
>> availability of OpenOffice 4.1.0 Beta  You can download it from our
>> website [1].
>>

> I'd put something like this early, so users will read it:
>
> "We release Beta versions of OpenOffice to get early feedback from
> users.  Beta versions may have more bugs than GA releases and may not
> be suitable for tasks which require the highest level of stability.
> Beta versions are recommended for experienced users who are willing to
> share their feedback with the OpenOffice project"

make sense

>> The 4.1.0 Beta update includes many bug fixes as well as new
>> translations: Bulgarian, Danish, Hindi, Norwegian Bokmål and Thai.
>>
>> Highlight of this new version is the integrated iAccessible2 support
>> that is a huge milestone to support users with disabilities better on
>> the windows platform.
>>
>> Details of new features and enhancements in this release are described
>> in the Release Notes [2].
>>
>> Those interested in the source code can download it via the links on
>> this page [3].
>>

> Maybe add:
>
> "Bug reports can be entered in our Bugzilla database at:
> https://issues.apache.org/ooo/.  Questions and other feedback, good or
> bad, can be sent to our users mailing list at
> users@openoffice.apache.org.
>
> Thanks in advance to our Beta Testers!"

make sense as well, I will add these 2 sections

I plan to send this to the announce list as soon as the download page is
ready (which should be soon)

Thanks

Juergen

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> The Apache OpenOffice project is pleased to announce the immediate
> availability of OpenOffice 4.1.0 Beta

This version is made available for testing by end-users. OpenOffice
4.1.0 is expected to be released next month, based on feedback on this
Beta release. [We really need to make it clear this is not 4.1.0]

> You can download it from our website [1]. ...

Please report bugs in the Apache OpenOffice Bugzilla [4]

[4] https://issues.apache.org/ooo/

(Well, if there is a better link somewhere... maybe
http://openoffice.apache.org/bug-tracking.html is a little bit better)

> Regards,
> ???, Apache OpenOffice Project Management Committee

The release manager is probably the best name in this case.

Regards,
   Andrea.