Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Marc Girod <ma...@iona.com> on 2006/10/11 11:08:10 UTC

1.4.0 Install on AIX, HP-UX and Solaris

Hello,

I have been installing svn 1.4.0 on various platforms, from the source tar,
using a prefix. I took the deps tar and installed the separate items first using
the same prefix.

I got various problems, which may or may not be related.

On HP-UX and Solaris, where I have completed the installation (despite a linking
problem on HP-UX), I get the following errors:

HP-UX:

$ svn ls http://pdsubscm1.boston.amer.iona.com/repos/playground/
svn: Unrecognized URL scheme for
'http://pdsubscm1.boston.amer.iona.com/repos/playground'
subversion

Solaris:

$ svn ls http://pdsubscm1.boston.amer.iona.com/repos/playground/
branches/
tags/
trunk/
$ svn ls https://pdsubscm1.boston.amer.iona.com/repos/playground/
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/repos/playground'
svn: PROPFIND of '/repos/playground': SSL negotiation failed: SSL disabled due
to lack of entropy (https://pdsubscm1.boston.amer.iona.com)

And for reference, from a Linux rpm installation (i.e. not built by myself...):

$ svn ls https://pdsubscm1.boston.amer.iona.com/repos/playground/
branches/
tags/
trunk/

What should I investigate next?
Thanks
Marc

Re: 1.4.0 Install on AIX, HP-UX and Solaris

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Marc Girod wrote:
> I have been installing svn 1.4.0 on various platforms, from the source tar,
> using a prefix. I took the deps tar and installed the separate items first using
> the same prefix.
>
> I got various problems, which may or may not be related.

Marc, this type of question is more appropriate for the users mailing
list.

> On HP-UX and Solaris, where I have completed the installation (despite a linking
> problem on HP-UX), I get the following errors:
>
> HP-UX:
>
> $ svn ls http://pdsubscm1.boston.amer.iona.com/repos/playground/
> svn: Unrecognized URL scheme for
> 'http://pdsubscm1.boston.amer.iona.com/repos/playground'
> subversion

Did you manage to build or link without Neon, or is Neon not available
at runtime?

> Solaris:
>
> $ svn ls http://pdsubscm1.boston.amer.iona.com/repos/playground/
> branches/
> tags/
> trunk/
> $ svn ls https://pdsubscm1.boston.amer.iona.com/repos/playground/
> svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/repos/playground'
> svn: PROPFIND of '/repos/playground': SSL negotiation failed: SSL disabled due
> to lack of entropy (https://pdsubscm1.boston.amer.iona.com)

Did you build Subversion and its dependencies using a non-blocking
souce of entropy (e.g. egd)?

Re: 1.4.0 Install on AIX, HP-UX and Solaris

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Marc Girod wrote:
> Must admit the --help was quite clear, in spite of my overlooking it.

Yup, 'configure --help' is clear, but there's no reason for the
discrepancy.

> I assume the fix would be in the configure script itself, mostly mirroring
> after line 3966 (i.e. for --with-neon) what is found after line 3289
> (for --with-apr).

It would be to a configure helper file, build/ac-macros/neon.m4,
probably doing something similar to find_apr.m4/apr.m4 (in the same
directory).

> Or should I first look for an svn repository to check that these line numbers
> and the version I see from the tar are still valid?

Patches a preferred against the trunk of Subversion's own repository
(http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk), but also accepted against
released source tarballs.

Re: 1.4.0 Install on AIX, HP-UX and Solaris

Posted by Marc Girod <ma...@iona.com>.
Daniel Rall <dlr <at> collab.net> writes:

> Marc, this is a good idea.  Care to submit a patch?

Nothing wrong with that. If you don't mind, I'll look at this only later.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Marc Girod wrote:

> ... I had missed the configuration of neon, and thus of the support
> for DAV.
> The cause of my error was my using the following configure command (incorrect!):
>
> $ ./configure --prefix /vob/tools_HP-UX
> --with-apr=/vob/tools_HP-UX/bin/apr-config
> --with-apr-util=/vob/tools_HP-UX/bin/apu-config
> --with-neon=/vob/tools_HP-UX/bin/neon-config --with-ssl
>
> instead of:
>
> $ ./configure --prefix /vob/tools_HP-UX
> --with-apr=/vob/tools_HP-UX/bin/apr-config
> --with-apr-util=/vob/tools_HP-UX/bin/apu-config --with-neon=/vob/tools_HP-UX
> --with-ssl
>
> Maybe it should be worth supporting the syntax I tried, for consistency with apr
> and apr-util?

Marc, this is a good idea.  Care to submit a patch?

- Dan

Re: 1.4.0 Install on AIX, HP-UX and Solaris

Posted by Marc Girod <ma...@iona.com>.
Many thanks to Pedro LamarĂ£o who was able to interpret the error I had on HP-UX
as a sign that I had missed the configuration of neon, and thus of the support
for DAV.

This was indeed visible in the output of 'svn --version' (absence of the ra_dav
module), and in config.log:

configure:3962: checking neon library
configure:4068: result: no suitable neon found

The cause of my error was my using the following configure command (incorrect!):

$ ./configure --prefix /vob/tools_HP-UX
--with-apr=/vob/tools_HP-UX/bin/apr-config
--with-apr-util=/vob/tools_HP-UX/bin/apu-config
--with-neon=/vob/tools_HP-UX/bin/neon-config --with-ssl

instead of:

$ ./configure --prefix /vob/tools_HP-UX
--with-apr=/vob/tools_HP-UX/bin/apr-config
--with-apr-util=/vob/tools_HP-UX/bin/apu-config --with-neon=/vob/tools_HP-UX
--with-ssl

Maybe it should be worth supporting the syntax I tried, for consistency with apr
and apr-util?

I go on following his advice and installing an Enthropy Gathering Daemon (EGD)
on my various platforms (having now the same symptom on HP-UX as on Solaris).

Marc