Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by David James <dj...@collab.net> on 2006/02/16 17:56:15 UTC

Re: Python 2.4 - Subversion 1.3, Windows

On 2/16/06, Dejan Rodiger <de...@ck.t-com.hr> wrote:
> Sorry to bother your (and I am probably not the only one) but, are you
> planning to make Python 2.4 bindings for Subversion 1.3?
> I have Subversion 1.3 installed, and I am planning to install Trac on
> Windows, so I need to make a decision will I go with Python 2.3 or
> Python 2.4.
>
> Any info on that would be appreciated.

Has anyone here compiled Python 2.4 bindings for Windows? If so,
please send me the binaries, and I'll test them and put them up on my
website.

Cheers,

David

--
David James -- http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~james

Re: Python 2.4 - Subversion 1.3, Windows

Posted by egoots <eg...@gmail.com>.
On 2/17/06, David James <dj...@collab.net> wrote:
> In order to compile Subversion bindings for Python 2.4, you would need
> to use Visual Studio.NET to compile Subversion and its dependencies
> (e.g. APR).
>
> We normally build Subversion using Visual Studio 6, so we do not build
> Python 2.4 bindings. However, if a volunteer were to build Python 2.4
> bindings using Visual Studio.NET, it would be much appreciated.
>
> Branko Čibej has mentioned in the past that he feels it is dangerous
> to mix libraries compiled with different versions of Visual Studio on
> the same system. I don't agree. Personally, I often mix DLLs compiled
> with different versions of Visual Studio, and I have never seen any
> problems.
>
> If a volunteer were to build Python 2.4 bindings using Visual
> Studio.NET, I would be happy to test them, and check whether there are
> any compatibility problems. I expect that they will work fine.

I agree that from a functional point of view mixing and matching run
time library components with DLL's can work fine provided people are
careful with things like memory management across dll boundaries (e.g.
dont allocate in one and free in the other), because the different run
time libraries have their own heaps.

Re: Python 2.4 - Subversion 1.3, Windows

Posted by David James <dj...@collab.net>.

Posted by eg <eg...@gmail.com>.