Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl> on 2020/07/13 15:03:00 UTC

Use of SinkFunction.Context without generic parameter.

Hi,

I prefer to have my code as "warning free" as possible so I was looking
through some of the warnings my IDE gives about some of the Flink code I'm
working on when I ran into this:

Raw use of parameterized class 'SinkFunction.Context'

Apparently the interface for a SinkFunction has the method

void invoke(IN value, Context context)

https://github.com/apache/flink/blob/master/flink-streaming-java/src/main/java/org/apache/flink/streaming/api/functions/sink/SinkFunction.java#L51

So *Context* is used here as a normal class.
Yet the actual definition (in the same file, about 15 lines below) shows

interface Context<T> {
which is a generic.
https://github.com/apache/flink/blob/master/flink-streaming-java/src/main/java/org/apache/flink/streaming/api/functions/sink/SinkFunction.java#L66

So in all SinkFunction implementations everywhere this issues a warning in
the code (also in what I'm working on).

I cannot simply fix my code by adding the type parameters because that
makes my code no longer implement the interface.

'invoke(IN, Context<IN>)' in
'org.apache.flink.streaming.connectors.gcp.pubsub.PubSubSink' clashes with
'invoke(IN, Context)' in
'org.apache.flink.streaming.api.functions.sink.SinkFunction'; both methods
have same erasure, yet neither overrides the other

I tried to simply add the extra function to the SinkFunction
void invoke(IN value, Context<IN> context)

which fails with

'invoke(IN, Context)' clashes with 'invoke(IN, Context<IN>)'; both methods
have same erasure

So they are "same enough" to clash and "different enough" to not be seen as
an implementation of the interface.

So as far as I can see the 'only' way to fix this is either a breaking API
change and cleanly add this generic parameter everywhere OR remove it from
the interface.

Note that the Context<T> interface does not use the generic parameter and
has the comment
// Interface might be extended in the future with additional methods.

I read this as future extensibility which has not been implemented (yet)
and which has not been placed in all code correctly.

What do you guys think of this ?

I'm inclined to simply remove the generic type parameter from this
interface.

Niels Basjes

Re: Use of SinkFunction.Context without generic parameter.

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
Hi,

Cool. I'm going to put up a fix (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-18606 )
I think that even people who ARE making their own Sink are not affected
because the method signature of the invoke does not use the parameter.

Niels.

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
Hi,