Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado <ga...@aguilardelgado.com> on 2009/11/13 23:24:08 UTC

UI status

Hi,

I just want to know the status of UI.

I thought that it was built on Dojo but seems that something changed.

The portlet toolbox looks great, can I help to fix it or upgrade it?

Thank you all!

Re: UI status

Posted by David Sean Taylor <d....@onehippo.com>.
On Nov 14, 2009, at 12:31 AM, Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado wrote:

> Hi
>
>> On Nov 13, 2009, at 2:24 PM, Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I just want to know the status of UI.
>>
>> Its really coming along - i hope to contribute a few more features by
>> next week
>> Randy is working on the backend support for new ui, new psml
>> features:
>> templates, references, instances...
>
> I took a look to jetui.jsp and portal.js. Correct me if wrong.
> Layouts are based on this file.
> I mean, The layout it's build on colums by this code
> ----
>      class="portal-layout-column" column='<%=index%>'
>      style="float:<%=columnFloat%>; min-height: 100px; width:<
> %=columnWidth%>;">
>
> <%
>             int subindex = 0;
>             for (Fragment fragment : collections)
>             {
>                 if (!(fragment.getName().equals("j2-
> admin::JetspeedToolbox") || fragment.getName().equals("j2-
> admin::JetspeedNavigator")))
>                 {
>                     //String content =
> jetui.renderPortletWindow(fragment.getId(), fragment.getName(), rc);
>                     String content =
> jetui.getRenderedContent((ContentFragment)fragment, rc);
>                     request.setAttribute("content", content);
>                     String decorator = fragment.getDecorator();
>             if (decorator == null)
>                 decorator = pageDec;
>                     request.setAttribute("decorator", decorator);
>                     request.setAttribute("fragment", fragment);
>                     request.setAttribute("coordinate",
> columnLayout.getCoordinate(fragment));
> %>
> <jsp:include page="jetui-portlet.jsp"/>
> <%
>                     subindex++;
>                 }
>             }
> %>
> -----
> So everything is rendered and composed in server and after
> javascript is applied to let portlets
> move. Right?

Yes

>> > I thought that it was built on Dojo but seems that something
>> changed.
>>
>> The /desktop was written a while back on an older version, its gone a
>> bit stale.
>> Trying out yui this time around, same concepts though including
>> eventual client side rendering
>
> Is there any problem with Dojo? Do it has any inconvenience?

Just another choice. I like it alright, just decided to go with YUI3
this time around, the APIs seem fairly straightforward and lightweight

> I love the "pixel perfect" approach...
>
> I will give a try to yui also, but it's there any possibility to
> implement the Dojo backend? (I can work on it).

I think it will be a waste for us to work on two different solutions
when we could be working together. We are a small team
You can do whatever you like though, no guarantee we will accept the
code, been a lot of code dump and runs around here and we need to
tighten up on quality. I would prefer you work with us on a common
goal, but Im not going to twist your arm and make you use YUI3 :-)

> I will work partial-time on this and developing our own portlets and
> upgrading jetspeed. So I will use
> a lot of time helping you. I hope.

Sounds great. Look forward to it

>> > Can someone point me in the right direction?
>>
>> UM.... just start using it localhost:8080/jetspeed/ui
>>
>> Take a look at jetui.jsp for starters
>
> Lovely! Great work. Still some problems with window management but
> we will fix them.

Yeah, lots of little stuff to fix...

Re: UI status

Posted by Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado <ga...@aguilardelgado.com>.
Hi

> On Nov 13, 2009, at 2:24 PM, Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just want to know the status of UI.
>
> Its really coming along - i hope to contribute a few more features by
> next week
> Randy is working on the backend support for new ui, new psml features:
> templates, references, instances...

I took a look to jetui.jsp and portal.js. Correct me if wrong. Layouts
are based on this file.
I mean, The layout it's build on colums by this code
----
     class="portal-layout-column" column='<%=index%>'
     style="float:<%=columnFloat%>; min-height: 100px; width:<%
=columnWidth%>;">

<%
            int subindex = 0;
            for (Fragment fragment : collections)
            {
                if
(!(fragment.getName().equals("j2-admin::JetspeedToolbox") ||
fragment.getName().equals("j2-admin::JetspeedNavigator")))
                {
                    //String content =
jetui.renderPortletWindow(fragment.getId(), fragment.getName(), rc);
                    String content =
jetui.getRenderedContent((ContentFragment)fragment, rc);
                    request.setAttribute("content",
content);
                    String decorator = fragment.getDecorator();
            		if (decorator == null)
            		    decorator = pageDec;
                    request.setAttribute("decorator",
decorator);
                    request.setAttribute("fragment", fragment);
                    request.setAttribute("coordinate",
columnLayout.getCoordinate(fragment));
%>
<jsp:include page="jetui-portlet.jsp"/>
<%
                    subindex++;
                }
            }
%>
-----
So everything is rendered and composed in server and after javascript is
applied to let portlets
move. Right?

> > I thought that it was built on Dojo but seems that something changed.
>
> The /desktop was written a while back on an older version, its gone a
> bit stale.
> Trying out yui this time around, same concepts though including
> eventual client side rendering

Is there any problem with Dojo? Do it has any inconvenience?
I love the "pixel perfect" approach... :D

I will give a try to yui also, but it's there any possibility to
implement the Dojo backend? (I can work on it).
I will work partial-time on this and developing our own portlets and
upgrading jetspeed. So I will use
a lot of time helping you. I hope.

> > Can someone point me in the right direction?
>
> UM.... just start using it localhost:8080/jetspeed/ui
>
> Take a look at jetui.jsp for starters

Lovely! Great work. Still some problems with window management but we
will fix them.

> > The portlet toolbox looks great, can I help to fix it or upgrade it?
>
> Woonsan is working on the toolbox and has some outstanding commits. We
> hope to have it 100% Ajax by next set of commits.
> You are welcome to work on any part of course, best to talk to Woonsan
> if you want to help him on the toolbox....

Ok. I will walk around a little bit and then try to help on this also. I
think the toolbox is a
very important piece of software inside the portal. The old portlet
selector just worked but
this looks much better.

Thank you all!

Re: UI status