Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Software Dev <st...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/17 22:32:30 UTC

Retrieving multiple rows

I know there is support for receiving multiple rows with one query but
at what number of rows does this start to fall apart?

For example, say we hash some time ordered series data to avoid
hotspotting. Since all of the rowkeys are hashed we can no longer
perform a scan over a time range. I think, theoretically, we can
calculate the hash for each data point and retrieve the rows that way.
If there are a dozen data points I don't think there would be a
problem but how does that change when we up that to a few dozen... a
few hundred... and few thousand? I'm not quite sure of the performance
implications of using such a method so I'm not quite sure at what
point does this method of retrieving rows becomes impractical.