Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Derek Harding <de...@innovyx.com> on 2014/10/15 19:07:03 UTC

Re: Unsubscribe

On 9/25/14, 2:00 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> irrelevant - every list has a welcome message and there is no logic in
> ask other members to unsubscribe yourself, one did also not ask them
> for subscribe https://www.google.at/search?q=spamassassin+mailing+list

I love it when people get all authoritarian on lists. I've used the
list-unsubscribe address numerous times. Never once seen a response and
the mail has never once stopped.

Process seems broken to me.

Derek

Re: Unsubscribe

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 17.10.2014 um 02:57 schrieb Derek Harding:
> On 10/15/14, 10:09 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> and *why* do you NOT state that in your *first* message?
>>
> That was my first message

ah so you hijacked a thread pretending unsubscribe don't work but don't
know if the OP tried it nor made clear you are not the OP

frankly the "Unsubscribe" sent to the list happens multiple times on
multiple lists every week and i am tried of it - especially on technical
lists

Re: Unsubscribe

Posted by Derek Harding <de...@innovyx.com>.

Re: Unsubscribe

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Re: Unsubscribe

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Derek Harding wrote:
> hole.

For help about that issue you should email the mailing list admin.
They are the human admins and can help you unsubscribe or debug the
problem.  The mailing list members cannot do this.

I am not one of the spamassassin mailing list admins but I am one of
the mailing list admins of another large site with 1,000+ lists.  When
in trouble email the human admin and not the mailing list members.
The mailing list members can't help you.  The mailing list admins are
the ones who can help you.

Generally mailing list admins can be reached at the -owner address.
That address takes the mailing list address and adds -owner to the end
of it.  The mailing list here is users@spamassassin.apache.org.  To
reach the owner send to users-owner@spamassassin.apache.org and it
should reach a human admin of the mailing list.  This is documented in
the help information for the mailing list.  It applies to most mailing
list management software.

> I didn't mention it before because the list is the only place to post and
> anyone posting unsubscribe questions on the list gets verbally berated and
> treated as though they're an idiot until they shut up (see the responses so
> far for examples).

The problem is that this is a technical mailing list that is concerned
with the technical details of email.  There is an expectation that
people on a technical mailing list about email will know how email
works.  Including how mailing lists since somehow everyone on the list
got themselves subscribed.  The unsubscription process is done
identically to subscription.  If you got on the list just do the exact
same thing to get off the list.  And if that doesn't work then contact
the mailing list admin at the -owner address.

So what do you do if you find yourself subscribed to a mailing list
but in reality you are not an email type of person?  You really would
rather just read web pages?  In that case use the web!  A quick web
search will find that spamassassin.apache.org uses the apache.org
infrastructure.  Here is the Apache page describing their mailing
lists.  It includes additional information for figuring out what
address you originally subscribed with and how to unsubscribe from a
different address.  Good stuff!

Including links to the ezmlm upstream documentation.  This is really
quite good documentation.  If the operation of the apache.org mailing
lists have been a mystery before then take a few minutes and read
through the manual.  It will remove the mystery and turn you into a
apache.org mailing list expert.  Great stuff!

  http://untroubled.org/ezmlm/manual/

The most important takeaway is that if you have problems with a
mailing list then contact the mailing list owner at the -owner
address.

  http://untroubled.org/ezmlm/manual/Contacting-the-Owner.html#Contacting-the-Owner

Hope that helps someone!
Bob

Re: Unsubscribe

Posted by Derek Harding <de...@innovyx.com>.
On 10/16/2014 7:14 PM, Duane Hill wrote:
> Are you sending the unsubscribe request from an address subscribed?

Yes

Re: Unsubscribe

Posted by Dave Warren <da...@hireahit.com>.
On 2014-10-16 19:14, Duane Hill wrote:
> Are you sending the unsubscribe request from an address subscribed?

That generates a useful error message too:

users@spamassassin.apache.org  mailing list.

Acknowledgment: The address

    lists@hireahit.com

was not on the users mailing list when I received
your request and is not a subscriber of this list.

If you unsubscribe, but continue to receive mail, you're subscribed
under a different address than you currently use. Please look at the
header for:
<...>

I also verified that the -unsubscribe address works, and got a reply in
under a minute from there too. I'm obviously not completing the loop
since I would prefer to stay subscribed.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/

Posted by Duane Hill <du...@gmail.com>.
On Thursday, October 16, 2014, 8:02:48 PM, Derek wrote:

> On 10/15/14, 11:35 AM, Dave Warren wrote:

> On       2014-10-15 10:16, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>
> I've looked into this and tested the         process without issue.
> The only issue I've seen to date is         someone who joined who
> did not know what email address they         joined as and does not
> know how to read the email source to         determine the correct email address to unsubscribe.
>

>        I second this. I "tested" it a few months back when I
> unsubscribed       and re-subscribed a new address from all of the
> mailing lists.       This list worked fine. Most did.
>
>        There were a couple I encountered that didn't work, where
> the       -request or -unsubscribe addresses weren't properly
> aliased, and I       can confirm that all the ones I encountered are now fixed.
>

>      I try the process periodically, it has not worked for me
> through     testing over the past year.

>      I didn't mention it before because the list is the only place
> to     post and anyone posting unsubscribe questions on the list
> gets     verbally berated and treated as though they're an idiot
> until they     shut up (see the responses so far for examples).

Have you confirmed in your server logs the message was received by the
SA  server? If so, there would have been a message coming back to your
server shortly thereafter.

I just sent an unsubscribe request:

    Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 21:03:35 -0500
    From: Duane Hill <du...@gmail.com>

and received a message back shortly after (roughly 30 seconds):

    Date: 17 Oct 2014 02:04:06 -0000
    From: users-help@spamassassin.apache.org
    To: duihi77@gmail.com

Are you sending the unsubscribe request from an address subscribed?

--
Duane Hill
duihi77@gmail.com
"If at first you don't succeed, so much for sky diving."

Posted by Derek Harding <de...@innovyx.com>.
On 10/15/14, 11:35 AM, Dave Warren wrote:
> On 2014-10-15 10:16, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>> I've looked into this and tested the process without issue.  The only
>> issue I've seen to date is someone who joined who did not know what
>> email address they joined as and does not know how to read the email
>> source to determine the correct email address to unsubscribe.
>
> I second this. I "tested" it a few months back when I unsubscribed and
> re-subscribed a new address from all of the mailing lists. This list
> worked fine. Most did.
>
> There were a couple I encountered that didn't work, where the -request
> or -unsubscribe addresses weren't properly aliased, and I can confirm
> that all the ones I encountered are now fixed.

I try the process periodically, it has not worked for me through testing
over the past year.

black hole.

Re: Unsubscribe

Posted by Dave Warren <da...@hireahit.com>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 10/15/2014 1:07 PM, Derek Harding wrote:
> On 9/25/14, 2:00 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> irrelevant - every list has a welcome message and there is no logic
>> in ask other members to unsubscribe yourself, one did also not ask
>> them for subscribe
>> https://www.google.at/search?q=spamassassin+mailing+list
>
> I love it when people get all authoritarian on lists. I've used the
> list-unsubscribe address numerous times. Never once seen a response
> and the mail has never once stopped.
>
> Process seems broken to me.
I've looked into this and tested the process without issue.  The only
issue I've seen to date is someone who joined who did not know what
email address they joined as and does not know how to read the email
source to determine the correct email address to unsubscribe.

If you know the email address you want unsubscribed and need help, email
me off-list and I'll get it taken care of!

regards,
KAM