Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by vinutha <vi...@yahoo.com> on 2012/04/04 10:35:46 UTC

recommend ads using mahout?

Hello!

I have a data set containing user behavior such as which products s/he
clicked on , and which products s/he bought from a retail site. I have
another data set containing which ads the same user has clicked on, and the
ads which were shown to him/her but hasn't been clicked on. The idea is to
use the user behavior data set to make recommendations for ads.
As I ve understood from Mahout in Action, there isn't a way to introduce
user behavior has a feature set . One can only use, userid, productid /ad id
, preferences.

Is my understanding correct?
Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Thanks,
Vinutha

Re: recommend ads using mahout?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
The current state of the art in ad recognition is contextual bandits backed up by logistic or probit regression. The mahout logistic regression is a decent first step on this but probably doesn't provide the necessary accuracy.

I have some early work on the bandit algorithms on github but this is still early work.

I think that using a recommender with ad features only would give you a very weak ad targeting algorithm because of the high level of ad churn and generally poor quality of ad meta data.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.