Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2012/08/16 23:47:41 UTC

[Math] MATH-843

Hi.

Please have a look at MATH-843:

As indicated there, I think that the current documentation is clear enough.
I don't know how to test the assertion of the reporter.
In the absence of further comment, I'll resolve the issue as is.

Thanks,
Gilles

Re: [Math] MATH-843

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Le 17/08/2012 05:37, Sébastien Brisard a écrit :
> Hi Gilles,
>>
>> Please have a look at MATH-843:
>>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-843
>>
>> As indicated there, I think that the current documentation is clear enough.
>> I don't know how to test the assertion of the reporter.
>> In the absence of further comment, I'll resolve the issue as is.
>>
> I agree with you 2^-53 is clear enough if you know a little bit what
> double precision is. If you don't, you probably won't understand any
> of the points which are discussed in MATH-843. But Dominik is right,
> so we could probably add this link to wikipedia [1]. I can do it if
> you want.

You can both add the single sentence from the user: "This value can
be defined as an upper bound on the relative error due to rounding real
numbers to double floating-point numbers" and put the link to the reference.

Luc

Re: [Math] MATH-843

Posted by Sébastien Brisard <se...@m4x.org>.
Hi,

2012/8/17 Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>:
> Hello Sébastien.
>

>> > Please have a look at MATH-843:
>> >   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-843
>> >
>> > As indicated there, I think that the current documentation is clear enough.
>> > I don't know how to test the assertion of the reporter.
>> > In the absence of further comment, I'll resolve the issue as is.
>> >
>> I agree with you 2^-53 is clear enough if you know a little bit what
>> double precision is. If you don't, you probably won't understand any
>> of the points which are discussed in MATH-843. But Dominik is right,
>> so we could probably add this link to wikipedia [1]. I can do it if
>> you want.
>
> Yes, please make it as you want.
>

> Thanks,
> Gilles

Done in r1374395 (such a long time I didn't commit anything -- almost
forgot my password!).

Sébastien

Re: [Math] MATH-843

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.