Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by iandebeer <ia...@zenaptix.com> on 2013/02/04 07:14:20 UTC

Re: Contributing Scomp Component (was Contributing Stomp Component)

Hi
I have created a pull request for Scomp that contains all the modifications I made to that project. I have discussed this with Dejan Bosanac and I am waiting for the pull request to be incorporated. One small snag is that the the test uses an imbedded Apollo broker and because of the Scala 2.10 dependency we now need the latest SNAPSHOT release of Apollo to run the tests. I hope that a Scala 2.10 compliant release of Apollo is planned for the near future.
I have moved the camel-scomp component into a a new camel-scomp repo: https://github.com/zenaptix/camel-scomp.git with all the refactorings you suggested.
(I am actually happy for the name change, due to this unfortunate ambiguity: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=camel%20stomp)
So once we have Scomp updated we are good to go.
Regards
Ian

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
I have to say I kinda agree with this.
We could mark a component as possibly "less quickly patched",
but nixing contributions on a component level seems kinda wrong to me...

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.
> Hadrian:
> We know however from past experience that the community's ability to
> support scala based code was not at par with the rest of the code base.

This is changing. Scala is getting more popular among Java people. And
this trend is visible almost within our community. Year ago I wouldn't
commit anything in Scala, now I'm waiting for another of my pull
requests to be merged into the Spring Scala [1] project. In the year
from this point forward probably more of us will adopt Scala for their
skillsets. Keep in mind also that rejecting Scala contributions will
result in rejecting the Scala people from our community. This is
Catch-22 kind of situation.

> Christian:
> But providing an integration with Stomp is not a Scala subject IMO.
> And there is no reason why this component can not be developed in Java.

Yes it is - maintenance of Java code making use of Scala libraries not
designed to be accessed from Java is a hell. It is technically
possible, but tough in reality. This is unnecessary maintenance burden
we can easily avoid just by writing the component in Scala.

> Christian:
> There are many other scripting languages
> running in a JVM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_JVM_languages).
> Should we also accept new components written in these languages? I don't
> think so...

First of all Scala is bit different than ordinary scripting language,
because it is often (and successfully) considered by users as the
replacement for Java in the context of the messaging-related systems.
Also, let's say Groovy, can be integrated into Java component more
easily than Scala.

> Willem:
> I think few people know about jclouds, hl7,redis …
> but we are open mind to host these components.

Very good point.

To summarize a little bit - I strongly believe that we as development
team can handle supporting Scala components. I also believe that
throwing away Scala contributions from our community will not be good
for it in the long run.

Best regards.

[1] http://blog.springsource.org/2012/12/10/introducing-spring-scala

Posted by Willem jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Oh, I don't agree with that Scomp component is written in Scala we should find other place to host it.

As an open source project we should alway encourage people to contribute, and we can always find someone who willing to maintain the code, if we have lots of users to use component.

--
Willem Jiang

Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.
> Hiram:
> How about if we can get at least 3 committers to agree to help maintain the
> component then it should  get accepted.

Maybe instead we could establish a kind of "Scala team" among the
Camel committers? These volunteers could declare that they would
handle Scala-related escalations in the first place. As you might
expected, I'm the first volunteer. :)

 If there will be too few of Scala volunteers to keep the Scala code
neat and clean, then we could think about creating subproject for
Scala.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Hiram, that would be greet indeed.

Fwiw, my comment didn't refer to scala per se, but any component that we
don't have the ability to support ourselves. With java at least I
believe there are quite a few of us who could jump in and fix things,
with scala it's less the case. And socially, what doesn't make me very
confident is the fact that the original committers of the scala
component went awol. From my pov, support for python and ruby are not at
the needed quality, and they are used way more than scala.

Regarding growing the community, ok, but how to do it? I don't think the
current form will work. Start a subproject? At one point there were
users interested even in porting camel to .net.

Cheers
Hadrian

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.

--

**

*Hiram Chirino*

*Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.*

*hchirino@redhat.com <hc...@redhat.com> | fusesource.com | redhat.com*

*skype: hiramchirino | twitter: @hiramchirino<http://twitter.com/hiramchirino>
*

*blog: Hiram Chirino's Bit Mojo <http://hiramchirino.com/blog/>*

Re: Contributing Scomp Component (was Contributing Stomp Component)

Posted by Willem jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ian de Beer <ia...@zenaptix.com>.
My need for this component arose from wanting to connect to ActiveMQ Apollo from within an Akka actor. Both of these (Akka and Apollo), have no Scala bias and works just fine in Java projects. As I suggested, it would probably be a better fit to provide the component as an Apollo-Camel contribution simillar to ActiveMQ-Camel, but being outside of ASF and Fuse, I am not privy to any plans for Apollo.
I have merged the Scomp code with the original Scomp project in Github. I also raised a Sonatype Jira request to have the Scomp jars made available in the public repo. I shall do the same for the Camel component, so if you want reference it in your component page, you are welcome.
Kind regards
Ian

Sent from my iPad

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.
> So once we have Scomp updated we are good to go.

First of all we need to figure out where the component should go, as
apparently there is some disagreement related to the proper place for
the Scala-related components.

BTW Camel Stomp definition made my day :P .