Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Joshua TAYLOR <jo...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/29 18:55:27 UTC

OWL Deprecation in Schemagen-generated classes

A colleague and I have been using Jena's schemagen to get lots of
generated constants from a vocabulary we've developed.  We're at the
point that we're marking some of the vocabulary deprecated.  It would
be convenient for our application code that uses the vocabulary if the
vocabulary constants that are deprecated also had a Java deprecation
annotation.  Our application would then generate compiler warnings
where it used deprecated vocabulary.  This raises two questions:

* We didn't find anything in the Jena schemagen doc describing this.
Are we correct that schemagen can't presently do this?
* This probably isn't too hard to implement;  we might go and do it if
we get some free time.  Is there any interest in this?  (I.e., if we
submitted it as a patch, would it be added to Jena, and would it be
useful to anyone?)

Thanks,  //JT

--
Joshua Taylor, http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~tayloj/

Re: OWL Deprecation in Schemagen-generated classes

Posted by Joshua TAYLOR <jo...@gmail.com>.

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 1:03 PM, Stephen Allen <sa...@apache.org> wrote:
> Sounds very useful to me, I use schemagen a fair amount.  Looking
> forward to a patch.  The best way to submit it would be to create a
> new issue on our JIRA site [1], and submit it there as an attachment.
>
> -Stephen
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JENA

Sounds like a plan.  It's not a particularly high priority thing for
us at the moment, so I don't have any particular ETA, but it's on the
long-term "to-do if we get the time" list.  :)

//JT

Posted by Stephen Allen <sa...@apache.org>.
Joshua,