Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Culley Harrelson <ha...@gmail.com> on 2004/11/02 23:59:00 UTC

putting the pieces together after changing servers

Hi,

I recently moved my subversion repository to a new machine.  The old
machine was running 1.0.  As the lone user I connected via
svn+ssh://...

After moving to the new machine I am still using svn+ssh:// but I
upgraded to 1.1.1.  I can connect to the repository on the server
using file:/// but not via the ssh tunnel.  The message I get is:

/usr/local/bin/svnserve: /usr/local/bin/svnserve.bin: not found
svn: Connection closed unexpectedly

Is it obvious to anyone what I am doing wrong?

culley

Re: putting the pieces together after changing servers

Posted by Peter Valdemar Mørch <sw...@sneakemail.com>.
Jani Averbach jaa-at-jaa.iki.fi |Lists| wrote:
> You had/have a wrapper script on your old machine, and you are using
> it still on your new machine.  However, you didn't remember to
> rename your svnserve to svnserve.bin when you upgraded... ?

Ah, the joys of the wrapper scripts... I'd (almost) put money on Jani's
suggestion...

Peter
--
Peter Valdemar Mørch
http://www.morch.com

Re: putting the pieces together after changing servers

Posted by Jani Averbach <ja...@jaa.iki.fi>.
On 2004-11-02 15:59-0800, Culley Harrelson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently moved my subversion repository to a new machine.  The old
> machine was running 1.0.  As the lone user I connected via
> svn+ssh://...
>
> After moving to the new machine I am still using svn+ssh:// but I
> upgraded to 1.1.1.  I can connect to the repository on the server
> using file:/// but not via the ssh tunnel.  The message I get is:
>
> /usr/local/bin/svnserve: /usr/local/bin/svnserve.bin: not found
> svn: Connection closed unexpectedly
>
> Is it obvious to anyone what I am doing wrong?

A Wild guess:

You had/have a wrapper script on your old machine, and you are using
it still on your new machine.  However, you didn't remember to
rename your svnserve to svnserve.bin when you upgraded... ?

Br, Jani

--
Jani Averbach

Re: putting the pieces together after changing servers

Posted by Culley Harrelson <ha...@gmail.com>.
I got it-- I botched the install (freebsd port) by uncluding some make
options.  I reinstalled and it is working.  /usr/local/bin/svnserve
was a shell script pointing to /usr/local/bin/svnserve.bin which
didn't exist....

culley

Posted by Jani Averbach <ja...@jaa.iki.fi>.
On 2004-11-02 17:45-0800, Culley Harrelson wrote:
> This is indeed what it looks like but it is not the case.  I did not
> create a wrapper script... I still have access to the old machine and
> it also doesn't have svnserve.bin?!?
>
> /usr/local/bin/svnserve: /usr/local/bin/svnserve.bin: not found
> svn: Connection closed unexpectedly

If the file /usr/local/bin/svnserve isn't a binary file, could you
show us its content?

BR, Jani

--
Jani Averbach

Re: putting the pieces together after changing servers

Posted by Culley Harrelson <ha...@gmail.com>.
This is indeed what it looks like but it is not the case.  I did not
create a wrapper script... I still have access to the old machine and
it also doesn't have svnserve.bin?!?

culley