Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/04 02:04:54 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Tuscany Documentation

As we discussed in [1], please take a look at a proposed structure to
use as our Java SCA Documentation for both 1.x and 2.x development
streams.

The idea is to have two separate wikis, where we would have the latest
documentation for each of the development streams, and during the
releases we would export a snapshot of the wiki space and make it
available either online in our website, or as a doc distribution. The
concept of "guide books" would allow us to group related contents, and
the new navigation outline in the left gives the user a better user
experience, and is built automatically by Confluence based on the page
name and hierarchy. Please take a look at the initial contents in the
2.x Documentation space [3] and it's PDF version that we could use in
a release [4] and provide feedback.

If people are OK, I can spend some time documenting some "usage
guidelines" to make sure the generated outline give us the right
navigation benefits and exporting does not contain unwanted navigation
markup; and then we could start migrating more of the contents from
our website to the new wikis.

Thoughts ?

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@tuscany.apache.org/msg04344.html
[2] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYxDOCx1x/Index
[3] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYxDOCx2x/Index
[4] http://people.apache.org/~lresende/tuscany/doc/TUSCANYxDOCx2x-20090203-16_21_57.pdf

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany, Apache PhotArk

Re: [PROPOSAL] Tuscany Documentation

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
I like the sound of the versioned website pages, i think that could be more
important than being able to include exported doc in the distro.

   ...ant

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Dan Becker <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Luciano Resende wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Dan Becker <da...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> part
>>> of your proposal for the wikis on the thread.
>>>
>>> I am just wondering what the version scheme will look like when the
>>> various
>>> files reach the web site. What will customers see? Where will a customer
>>> look for articles of the 1.x flavor versus the articles of the 2.x
>>> flavor?
>>>

>> Haaa, I think I got your question now, we would have something (but
>> probably not exactly) like this :
>>
>> http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html
>>
>> Or just a link on our website pointing to the wiki documentation
>>

> Excellent example! I like their organization. Notice for example that the
> developers guide follows this kind of structure for the HTML pages:
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/devguide/
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/devguide/
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/devguide/
>
> This is similar to the idea I prefered above:

> --
> Thanks, Dan Becker

+1, would be really good if we can have the doc versioned like that on the
website.

   ...ant

Re: [PROPOSAL] Tuscany Documentation

Posted by Dan Becker <da...@gmail.com>.