Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Turloch O'Tierney <to...@hotmail.com> on 2004/07/16 20:32:13 UTC

History/trends in reports

Maven people,

My boss just asked me was there a fascility within maven to do reports over
time on the reports produced. We are currently building mostly in ant and
using maven to produce reports from the plugins each night and check them
into source control, cvs though we may move to subversion.

it seems like a request that must have been made before.

I suppose I can
-whip up a script to do the needfull, greping out the date and putting the
results in a comma separated file and graphed via a spreadsheet .
-save the xml files rather than the html as they should be easier to extract
the data from

Regards,
Turloch

RE: History/trends in reports

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
It's not currently supported. I'm planning to work on this but don't hold
your breath.... ;-)

-Vincent

Posted by Marcin Werla <mw...@tlen.pl>.
Hi,

> My boss just asked me was there a fascility within maven to do reports
> over
> time on the reports produced. We are currently building mostly in ant and
> using maven to produce reports from the plugins each night and check them
> into source control, cvs though we may move to subversion.
>
> it seems like a request that must have been made before.
>
> I suppose I can
> -whip up a script to do the needfull, greping out the date and putting the
> results in a comma separated file and graphed via a spreadsheet .
> -save the xml files rather than the html as they should be easier to
> extract
> the data from

I've had similar problem recently. I wanted to have a report showing, how
total number of unit tests and percent of passed tests changes in time. So
with my colleague we've created a Maven plugin called UnitTestHistory. We
are using CruiseControl for continuous integration, so the plugin just
parses CC XML log files, extracts necessary data from them and creates
report. Of course this is easy because all necessary data is in the CC log
files.

But CC can also copy each build products to build specific directory. So my
advise is to use CC (or something else similar) to copy XML version of Maven
reports from each nightly build and to create Maven plugin or any other
report generation software for analysis of gathered files.

  Marcin Werla

RE: History/trends in reports

Posted by Matt Read <mr...@spotd.co.uk>.
A colleague and I are actually working on a plugin right now to do this, the
default setup will plot a graph of total tests and %age passing tests over
time. Data is stored in a JDBC datasource and data to be captured is
currently specified as an filename and an xpath to the data to gather.
Graphs are then generated by a report plugin.

We're currently about a week away from releasing for testing, I'll probably
mention something on this list when we do.

Matt.