Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by James Mitchell <ja...@mac.com> on 2007/03/12 01:31:41 UTC

struts-annotations

Why is struts-annotations under struts/maven if it is required in
core and dojo.

I'm sure I missed that discussion.

--
James Mitchell

Re: struts-annotations

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 3/11/07, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> > Unfortunately, until we start using Maven to do releases,
>
> I don't know what that means. What else would we need to do?

Some variation on "mvn release:prepare" and "mvn release:perform" with
-P whatever-profiles-struts2-needs and probably a few more things that
won't be discovered until someone tries it.

For example, a "dry run" starts off this way:

$ mvn release:prepare -DdryRun=true
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Reactor build order:
[INFO]   Struts 2
[INFO]   Struts 2 Core
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'release'.
[INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
[INFO] Building Struts 2
[INFO]    task-segment: [release:prepare] (aggregator-style)
[INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
[INFO] [release:prepare]
[INFO] Verifying that there are no local modifications...
[INFO] Executing: svn --non-interactive status
[INFO] Working directory: e:\svn\struts\STRUTS_2_0_X
[INFO] Checking dependencies and plugins for snapshots ...
There are still some remaining snapshot dependencies.: Do you want to
resolve them now? (yes/no) no: :

So, it will stop the release if it finds any snapshot dependencies.
It also checks for local changes and won't proceed if you haven't
checked in.

> Why can't they all be released together?

They probably can, it's just a matter of someone moving them and
making sure the whole thing builds again.  My primary goal is "no
snapshot dependencies" in released poms.

(The struts-master pom doesn't "belong" to either Struts 1 or Struts
2.  Eliminating it would mean duplicating the mailing lists, list of
committers, etc., in each of the parent poms, but that's also doable.)

--
Wendy

Re: struts-annotations

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On 3/11/07, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> wrote:
> I believe Don said Plug-ins could be used in other projects...
> theoretically even Struts 1. So it's technically a separate project with
> its own build cycle.

Unless and until an actual community forms around Struts Annotations
and other people start to use it, there's no value added by giving the
bits their own build cycle. People can do all the same things with it,
regardless. Meanwhile, there's is value lost by complicating the
Struts 2 release.

If an independent community does collect around annotation, then it
would be worth making it a separate release, because there would be
more people to help.

> As for the Archetype (and anything else), if it is exclusive to Struts
> 2, then I believe those should go with the Struts 2 build.
>
> The POM? Which POM? Struts 1 and Struts 2 both have a parent POM, but
> those also have a parent POM shared across both. Right? The grandparent
> needs its own release, but the immediate parent does not, imo.

Even so, the Struts 2 POM is already a separate release. Since Struts
2 does not have any subprojects, why not release the S2 POM with
everything else?

Re: struts-annotations

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Re: struts-annotations

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On 3/11/07, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> The POM needs to be published to the standard Maven repo, so that it's there
> as a versioned dependency that can be relied upon by other parts of the
> project.

Do we have multiple parts for Struts 2?

We tried subprojects for Struts 1, and ultimately decided that we
didn't like them.

For Struts 2, we decided not to make plugins separate subprojects.

Why can't POM, Archetype, and Annotation be on the same build tree
with Core and Plugins?

> We want that so that we have reproducible builds even of old
> versions of other artifacts of the project. Before we can publish it to
> Maven Central, it must be a released artifact. That in turn means that the
> PMC must go through the release process for it.

If it's all the same tag, then reproducing everything isn't a problem.

Re: struts-annotations

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 3/11/07, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 3/11/07, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> > > No one objects to releasing the struts-master pom, and it's the same
> > > situation.
>
> And, I don't understand why we do that either (which is why I've never
> voted on the Struts pom).

The POM needs to be published to the standard Maven repo, so that it's there
as a versioned dependency that can be relied upon by other parts of the
project. We want that so that we have reproducible builds even of old

Re: struts-annotations

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: struts-annotations

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 3/11/07, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> Unless I'm missing something, it's because we want to be able to release
> some pieces (e.g. plugins) without requiring a corresponding release of
> 'core'. If a plugin depends on an updated version of struts-annotations (or
> whatever), it shouldn't have to wait for a 'core' release to get a new
> released version of it.

Naaahhh... we're talking about whether to bring struts-annotations and
the archetypes into struts2/trunk (or the branch, I'm not entirely
sure).

I say go for it... my objection to bringing the archetypes in is not
technical, it's that the release manager will be required to manually
change the version numbers in the templates.  Since the active release
manager is pushing for the change, that's not an issue. :)

Struts Annotations bothers me a little... you'll have to use
${version} in the struts2-core pom but again this is a build-time
thing, it won't break any users.

(I think we should leave struts-master out of it-- we've already got
the list of committers in three places that rarely match up--
STATUS.txt, pom.xml, volunteers.xml.)

--
Wendy

Re: struts-annotations

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 3/11/07, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 3/11/07, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 3/11/07, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > It's still not clear to me why it needs to be released separately. The
> > > justification for the archetypes almost makes sense, but creating a
> > > separate distribution for Struts Annotations still seems like busy
> > > work.
> >
> > No one objects to releasing the struts-master pom, and it's the same
> > situation.  Struts 2 depends on struts-master, struts-annotations, and
> > a bunch of other things. We need released versions of all those things
> > because we are not supposed to release with snapshot dependencies.
> >
> > Unfortunately, until we start using Maven to do releases,
>
> I don't know what that means. What else would we need to do?

I believe Wendy is talking about 'mvn release', which theoretically takes
care of a bunch of stuff all in one go.

Re: struts-annotations

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: struts-annotations

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 3/11/07, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> It's still not clear to me why it needs to be released separately. The
> justification for the archetypes almost makes sense, but creating a
> separate distribution for Struts Annotations still seems like busy
> work.

No one objects to releasing the struts-master pom, and it's the same
situation.  Struts 2 depends on struts-master, struts-annotations, and
a bunch of other things. We need released versions of all those things
because we are not supposed to release with snapshot dependencies.

Unfortunately, until we start using Maven to do releases, checking for

Re: struts-annotations

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Jim, if you do find the "discussion", can you please create a wiki
page or something for it?

Re: struts-annotations

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On 3/11/07, Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> By the way, I've been making changes to it that I wouldn't be comfortable
> getting together with the 2.0 branch.

Then maybe we should bump SA to a 1.1.0-SNAPSHOT. Otherwise, things
could get sticky if for some reason we need to bring a new SA out
later for Struts 2.0.x.

Or, for Struts 2.1.x, we could just merge SA into the regular build
tree, along with the plugins. Like the plugins, it could still be a
separate JAR, in case someone else wants to try using it separately,
but we would not be burdened with yet-another-distribution until
community interest developed.

In the meantime, we could dodge the when/how/what to branch and
version discussions. Using SA outside of Struts could still be
documented, and the JAR would still be available via Maven, it would
just be released along with the other artifacts in the regular Struts
distribution.

-Ted.

Re: struts-annotations

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.