Posted to dev@whirr.apache.org by Adrian Cole <ad...@opscode.com> on 2010/08/20 18:06:03 UTC

Isn't nuvem at least similar to whirr?

Except the fact that we don't expose existing service apis, there seems to be a high overlap. Perhaps they didn't know about whirr, yet?

-Adrian

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/Nuvem

Re: Isn't nuvem at least similar to whirr?

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@opscode.com>.
More history, in case you're curious :)

jclouds didn't start out doing IaaS.  That came later.  Our first service
was blobstore, which is a platform as a service offering.  We then
considered queuing and table.  However the only apis that existed were
significantly different (Azure vs Amazon), and there was also zero demand
for portability between them.  BlobStore was made to address the first
concern of Nuvem, and remains a popular component of jclouds.  In fact
google appengine unlocking drove a lot of the design (over a year ago when
it was designed).

I've mentioned over the last year and a half many times about the concept of
provisioning over and under apis.  When jclouds entered the provisioning
space, you could now provision platforms missing from environments, or ones
that you just don't like.  In essence, you can build under the api you wish
to achieve.  To that end, tools like pallet and whirr came up to assist with
the stack building.  Placing an api on top isn't most of the work, its
actually the yak shaving and cat herding of getting a reliable set of
semantically equivalent services underneath.

It may be the case that the Nuvem team know more about the paas services in
cloud api land than I do.  My last 20 months living and breathing this stuff
says that there aren't enough cloud paas apis for a meaningful abstraction
for most services, and that putting control apis on platforms you build
yourself is more likely what it will end up as.  I don't see that as very
different than whirr, but maybe I'm just plum crazy ;)

This doesn't mean we couldn't use their help, or visa versa.  I'm just
saying that if you look deeply, goals are very aligned.

-a

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@opscode.com>.

Posted by Jeff Hammerbacher <ha...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@opscode.com>.
I suppose this part is what I mean wrt whirr:

For clouds that does not provide a specific application service on their
> platform, we would work with Apache sibling projects such as Hadoop, CouchDB
> and Cassandra for data store, or ActiveMQ and Qpid for queueing for example,
> to close the gap.

whirr would seem to be an ideal way for them to achieve this, right?  I've
also reached out, too.

-Adrian

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.
Adrian,