Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Winston Wolff <st...@obsidiancore.com> on 2003/11/05 18:08:49 UTC

So many fink packages for Mac OS X

Also, does anybody understand what all the packages for svn mean in
Fink?  I see packages named svn, svn-ssl, svn-client, svn-client-ssl,
svn-shlibs.  I guess the shlibs are shared libs, but what are the
differences for svn and svn-ssl for example?  All the descriptions are
the same for these different packages so it's not very helpful.

Thanks,

-Winston

(2)

Re: So many fink packages for Mac OS X

Posted by Jeffrey Melloy <jm...@visualdistortion.org>.
Just Stuff wrote:

> Yes, I've had a lot of trouble installing svn on Mac OS X.  I only use
> fink for svn and I don't really understand how it works, how to update
> it to the latest packages, etc.  Indeed the last time I tried to
> install svn, it failed and I only got it to work after I read
> somewhere that you had to install ruby.  I think there might be
> another problem with Perl 5.8 which is what Panther comes with.  I am
> crossing my fingers that the Fink folks are working on this.
>
> I feel like a fish out of water without my subversion working right now.
>
>> And I am leaning toward building the client myself.
>

> I was leaning to this a while ago, and somebody said it's probably
> better to keep trying with Fink that to build manually.  I think he's
> the one who gave me the Ruby tip.
>
> -ww
>

> On Nov 5, 2003, at 1:29 PM, William L. Anderson wrote:
>
>> Winston: I appreciate you taking the time to update this info re fink
>> svn. I am finding the install procedure on OS X 10.2.8 to be very
>> frustrating. And I am leaning toward building the client myself.
>>
>> I cannot understand what ruby has to do with svn-client, but
>> apparently it is also implicated when I attempt
>>   $ sudo fink install svn-client
>>
>> The whole procedure craps out because ruby has dependencies that
>> aren't loaded. Hmmm ... maybe I need to use dselect. I'll try that.
>>
>> Any hints you can give about what you did to get this loaded and
>> working are appreciated.
>>
>> Bill Anderson

I had no problems whatsoever installing Subversion on Panther.  Just
make sure you have the developer tools, and then the easiest thing is to
download a tarball and go.

Jeff

Re: So many fink packages for Mac OS X

Posted by Just Stuff <st...@obsidiancore.com>.

Posted by Hamilton Link <he...@sandia.gov>.
I would point out that svn and svn-ssl are for practical purposes
mutually exclusive (you probably only want one of the two, or at least
I would), and that the svn-ssl, svn-client-ssl, and
libapache2-mod-svn-ssl (uh, if I've got that name right) all go
together.

The '-ssl' versions of things link to libraries that allow svn services
to be provided over secure TCP connections.

Also, in point of fact installing svn-ssl, etc. ends up including about
40 fink packages. Off the top of my head I don't recall what they are,
but a few of them aren't obviously needed (in fact I'm told they're
only used during the build process, which is why they aren't called out
as prerequisites by the svn INSTALL file). It might be good to have a
side note of how many files are transitively included and why... just
in the spirit of eliminating surprises, you know.

Other than that, the fink packages install and work just swimmingly, or
did a version ago, although there is a tiny hiccough with ruby iirc (I
really need to post the errors that I got...). Mucho appreciation goes
out to the creator.

Posted by Winston Wolff <st...@obsidiancore.com>.

>> All the descriptions are the same for these different packages so
>> it's not very helpful.
>
> I should update these descriptions, you are right. Any suggestions?

Well, I suppose I have to now that I griped about it huh?  How about
this below?  I have separated them into a main description for the
"svn" package that talks about why Subversion is interesting for the
reader and I list all the associated packages with a brief description
and why they would want that sub-package.  Then for each sub-package's
description, I repeat the brief description as it appears in the main
description and tell them to look back at the main.

I have left some blank areas [???], and also I am guessing on some of
this stuff but I guess you will know if it is correct and can adjust
it?

Thanks incidentally for doing the work of distributing svn on fink.

-winston
-----------------------

Main description for "svn"
-----

Posted by Winston <st...@obsidiancore.com>.
Yes, I gave up on fink after Panther.  I find building from the
distributions very easy.  Here are the notes I wrote from the last time
I installed it.  You just need to get the latest BerkeleyDB package
from www.sleepcat.com and then the subversion package.  The APR and
NEON versions in the Subversion distribution work fine so you don't
need to get those packages separately.

  • Installed Berkeley db with:
  		cd build_unix
  		../dist/configure
  		make
  		sudo make install
  • Installed subversion:
  		cd subversion-34.0
  		./configure --enable-maintainer-mode
--with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/ --with-ssl
  		make
  		sudo make install

There are a few other things you will need if you want the Apache 2.0
WebDav stuff, but I used it find for months using ssl+svn.

Let me know if I can help more.  Did you want the Apache 2.0
installation info too?  I'll be away from email from the 30th for 3
weeks though.

-ww

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.

Posted by Christian Schaffner <ch...@users.sourceforge.net>.
On Mittwoch, November 5, 2003, at 07:08  Uhr, Winston Wolff wrote:

> Also, does anybody understand what all the packages for svn mean in
> Fink?

Yes, i do. (I am the maintainer of the packages...)

> I see packages named svn, svn-ssl, svn-client, svn-client-ssl,
> svn-shlibs.  I guess the shlibs are shared libs, but what are the
> differences for svn and svn-ssl for example?

Normally you would install the -ssl variants, if you are not in a
country where these versions are prohibited. (But don't ask me about
the legal details!)

> All the descriptions are the same for these different packages so it's
> not very helpful.

I should update these descriptions, you are right. Any suggestions?

Anyhow, if you type

% fink describe svn-ssl

you get:

svn-ssl-0.32.1-11: Compelling replacement for CVS
  The svn-ssl package installs a stand-alone server 'svnserve'. To
  install the apache2 based network server please install the fink
  package 'libapache2-ssl-mod-svn'.

If you only need the client, do:

% fink install svn-client-ssl

if you want a stand-alone server, do:

% fink install svn-ssl

if you want an apache based server, do:

% fink install libapache2-ssl-mod-svn

You do not need to care about the -shlibs. They contain the shared
libraries and are installed if necessary.

Does that answer your question?

Best, Chris.