Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Daniel Bryar <da...@bryar.com.au> on 2008/10/21 08:06:48 UTC

Make fails to embed using libtool with -Ltrue/lib

Hi all,

I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction as
even the best google fu will not find and answer when your error is base
around two words: true lib
Quite possibly the two most common arguments in a command, thus I turn
to you, the good people of the user mailing list...

I am trying to build a Subversion service on Mac OS X 10.4 Server
following this:
http://developer.apple.com/tools/subversionxcode.html

Apache2 is fine, but SVN fails to 'make'

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local \
    --mandir=/usr/local/share/man --with-ssl \
    --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs --with-zlib=true \
    --enable-swig-bindings=no --without-berkeley-db \
    --with-apr=/usr/local/apache2 \
    --with-apr-util=/usr/local/apache2

Returns an error that "--enable-swig-bindings=no" is an unknown option,
but configures make files ok.

$ make

runs fine until...

cd subversion/svn && /bin/sh /Users/admin/dev/subversion-1.5.3/libtool
--tag=CC --silent --mode=link gcc  -g -O2  -g -O2  -Ltrue/lib  -rpath
/usr/local/lib -o svn  add-cmd.o blame-cmd.o cat-cmd.o changelist-cmd.o
checkout-cmd.o cleanup-cmd.o commit-cmd.o conflict-callbacks.o
copy-cmd.o delete-cmd.o diff-cmd.o export-cmd.o help-cmd.o import-cmd.o
info-cmd.o list-cmd.o lock-cmd.o log-cmd.o main.o merge-cmd.o
mergeinfo-cmd.o mkdir-cmd.o move-cmd.o notify.o propdel-cmd.o
propedit-cmd.o propget-cmd.o proplist-cmd.o props.o propset-cmd.o
resolve-cmd.o resolved-cmd.o revert-cmd.o status-cmd.o status.o
switch-cmd.o unlock-cmd.o update-cmd.o util.o
../../subversion/libsvn_client/libsvn_client-1.la
../../subversion/libsvn_wc/libsvn_wc-1.la
../../subversion/libsvn_ra/libsvn_ra-1.la
../../subversion/libsvn_delta/libsvn_delta-1.la
../../subversion/libsvn_diff/libsvn_diff-1.la
../../subversion/libsvn_subr/libsvn_subr-1.la
/usr/local/apache2/lib/libaprutil-1.la  -lexpat -liconv
/usr/local/apache2/lib/libapr-1.la -lpthread  -framework Security
-framework CoreFoundation -framework CoreServices
/Users/admin/dev/subversion-1.5.3/libtool: line 1: cd: true/lib: No such
file or directory
libtool: link: cannot determine absolute directory name of `true/lib'
/usr/bin/ld: warning -L: directory name (true/lib) does not exist
/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lexpat
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [subversion/svn/svn] Error 1

I tried searching for an answer, but 'true' and 'lib' aren't the
greatest terms to google...

Dan.

Re: Make fails to embed using libtool with -Ltrue/lib

Posted by Daniel Bryar <da...@bryar.com.au>.
On 23/10/2008, at 9:15 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2008, at 13:38, John Szakmeister wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 4:06 AM, Daniel Bryar wrote:
>>
>>> I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right
>>> direction as
>>> even the best google fu will not find and answer when your error
>>> is base
>>> around two words: true lib
>>> Quite possibly the two most common arguments in a command, thus I
>>> turn to
>>> you, the good people of the user mailing list...
>>>
>>> I am trying to build a Subversion service on Mac OS X 10.4 Server
>>> following
>>> this:
>>> http://developer.apple.com/tools/subversionxcode.html
>>>
>>> Apache2 is fine, but SVN fails to 'make'
>>>
>>> $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local \
>>>  --mandir=/usr/local/share/man --with-ssl \
>>>  --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs --with-zlib=true \
>>>  --enable-swig-bindings=no --without-berkeley-db \
>>>  --with-apr=/usr/local/apache2 \
>>>  --with-apr-util=/usr/local/apache2
>>>
>>> Returns an error that "--enable-swig-bindings=no" is an unknown
>>> option, but
>>> configures make files ok.
>>
>> The problem is your configure statement.  --with-zlib by itself
>> enables zlib.  --with-zlib=PATH points to where to look for the zlib
>> libraries.  You also don't want --enable-swig-bindings=no.  You want
>> to use --disable-swig-bindings.
>>
>> Not sure about the '-lexpat' error.  That may go away when you get
>> the
>> other stuff right.  But it seems like something may not be quite
>> right
>> with your apr-utils (I believe that parameter is picked up from
>> apu-config).
>
> You should point the --with-apr parameter at your apr-config program
> (e.g. --with-apr=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apr-1-config) and point the
> --with-apr-util parameter at your apu-config program.
>
> You may want to also consider letting MacPorts compile this for you.
> MacPorts makes it easy to compile a lot of different software
> packages. Once you install MacPorts, it's as easy as typing
>
> sudo port install subversion +tools +mod_dav_svn
>
> This gets you Subversion and Apache 2 and apr and apr-util and
> BerkeleyDB and all the other dependencies.
>
> http://www.macports.org/

Thanks guys, got it all up and running now.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 4:06 AM, Daniel Bryar <da...@bryar.com.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction as
> even the best google fu will not find and answer when your error is base
> around two words: true lib
> Quite possibly the two most common arguments in a command, thus I turn to
> you, the good people of the user mailing list...
>
> I am trying to build a Subversion service on Mac OS X 10.4 Server following
> this:
> http://developer.apple.com/tools/subversionxcode.html
>
> Apache2 is fine, but SVN fails to 'make'
>
> $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local \
>   --mandir=/usr/local/share/man --with-ssl \
>   --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs --with-zlib=true \
>   --enable-swig-bindings=no --without-berkeley-db \
>   --with-apr=/usr/local/apache2 \
>   --with-apr-util=/usr/local/apache2
>
> Returns an error that "--enable-swig-bindings=no" is an unknown option, but
> configures make files ok.

The problem is your configure statement.  --with-zlib by itself
enables zlib.  --with-zlib=PATH points to where to look for the zlib
libraries.  You also don't want --enable-swig-bindings=no.  You want
to use --disable-swig-bindings.

Not sure about the '-lexpat' error.  That may go away when you get the
other stuff right.  But it seems like something may not be quite right
with your apr-utils (I believe that parameter is picked up from
apu-config).

-John