Posted to infrastructure-dev@apache.org by Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/01 22:19:14 UTC

Git Sync Lag

The Git mirror for Buildr seems to take several days to sync with the latest
changes from the SVN.  I was under the impression that this sync was handled
using the commits@ mailing list.  I have checked the archives for that list,
and it is sending out notifications, it just seems that the Git sync is
either ignoring them or not processing them with any sort of punctuality.
Are there any extra steps which must be taken on the Buildr side of life to
make this sync as seamless as possible?

On a related note, does anyone know how far behind GitHub's mirrors (
http://github.com/apache) are from Apache's (http://git.apache.org)?

Daniel

Re: Git Sync Lag

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Correction: it doesn't seem to be taking days anymore, just hours.  Almost
> exactly an hour and a half, actually.  Still seems weird that it would take
> so long.

I fired the update manually based on your first email. See my other
message for why the automatic update didn't seem to work.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Git Sync Lag

Posted by Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git Sync Lag

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 10:19 PM, Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Git mirror for Buildr seems to take several days to sync with the latest
> changes from the SVN.  I was under the impression that this sync was handled
> using the commits@ mailing list.  I have checked the archives for that list,
> and it is sending out notifications, it just seems that the Git sync is
> either ignoring them or not processing them with any sort of punctuality.

No, the mirror should pick up changes automatically.

I looked at the log file and noticed an svn access error (could not
connect to server) on May 28th when the sync tried to access revision
779608. In such cases the change notification will be ignored and the
mirror will get updated when the next commit message comes in (there's
also a catchall sync on every Sunday morning to capture any lost
updates during the week).

A more interesting case is the update for revision 780779 that was
committed earlier today. The email script was invoked correctly based
on the commit message and it started updating the Buildr mirror, but
apparently the change had not yet been propagated to the EU mirror, as
the log shows no changes being picked up by the script.

> Are there any extra steps which must be taken on the Buildr side of life to
> make this sync as seamless as possible?

In general it should be possible to fix occasional sync glitches like
with r779608 simply by making an extra commit that will force the
mirror to be updated.

As for the r780779 case, I've now added an explicit 10 second delay to
the update script. This should give the EU mirror more time to sync up
with the svn master before the Git mirror starts pulling changes from
it.

Thanks for reporting this issue, and please let us know if you keep
facing similar problems!

> On a related note, does anyone know how far behind GitHub's mirrors (
> http://github.com/apache) are from Apache's (http://git.apache.org)?

Their sync delay should be less than an hour. They're currently
pulling changes from us every 30 minutes, but we may make some changes
to that schedule based on experience. Anyway, the goal is to keep the
Github sync delay within one hour.

BR,

Jukka Zitting