Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net> on 2013/10/03 00:14:57 UTC

[DISCUSS] Components in JIRA and bug assignment

I would like to separate this thread on tickets assignments in JIRA.

Previously it was mentioned that we can add additional components into JIRA CLOUDSTACK project and have ticket default to maintainer of the component - who can then assign it to a proper developer.

What do you think?

Any other suggestions?

If agreed, who has the karma in JIRA to do this?

What components we need to add or remove to lower the confusion?

Last but not least, if someone can explain how bug reporter would identify the proper component, we can then post it on WIKI and minimize the error rate caused by improper bug filling.

RE: [DISCUSS] Components in JIRA and bug assignment

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

[Animesh>] Reviews are managed in separate tool called ReviewBoard

> > This way i will select component as "Automation", branch as "4.1" and
> > so etc , save that query on my dashboard and everytime i login, i can
> > see reviews based upon my query saved.
>
> We can create a separate component Automation, so you can create filters
> as described.

[Animesh>] JIRA already has a component for Automation. Santhosh you should open a separate thread for review board enhancements

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
Response in line:

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 05:55:58PM +0000, Animesh Chaturvedi wrote:
> [Animesh>] Chip  I get the principle behind the reasoning in  thread[2] which should be maintained but at the same time not being able to assign the issues is a big hindrance in running a release. I am not sure if you saw my response in this thread [1] started by Ilya which was based on my experience as RM for 4.2.0

I did see it.  I'm agreeing to disagree but not be a hindrance to
progress.  ;-)

If everyone else agrees with the approach, then rock on with it!

RE: [DISCUSS] Components in JIRA and bug assignment

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

I am +1 on the proposal

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/cwxxxjnkor6trq4s
[2] http://markmail.org/thread/btovj6t6opqxge5q

Re: [DISCUSS] Components in JIRA and bug assignment

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 10:50 PM, Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org> wrote:

> One basic rule for component maintainer to assign the ticket, can be: Fix
> your own code.

I agree with Sheng. And with Ilya on the point that I think we will have to
revisit this procedure soon. What I am thinking of is the expectation of a
reporter that on entering a feature request/bug follow up will happen.

I still don't like the approach but have no better alternative so I have to:

+1

regards,
Daan

Re: [DISCUSS] Components in JIRA and bug assignment

Posted by Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>.
+1 to the approach.

One basic rule for component maintainer to assign the ticket, can be: Fix
your own code. If the bug is introduced by a certain commit(etc, using 'git
blame'), it would go to the committer to fix or revert it, unless someone
else volunteer to fix it. Of course sometime it wouldn't be easy to tell
which commit introduce the bug, and people made mistakes on deciding
troublesome commit, but least it should help on the majority of the issues..

--Sheng

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
Daan,

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rajesh Battala <ra...@citrix.com>.
+1 for the proposal.

>> On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 05:11:32PM +0000, Musayev, Ilya wrote:
>> > Question to JIRA experienced admins, we can preserve "assign to me"
>> option, and if unassigned goto "component" maintainer?
>>
>> Absolutely.  Initial assignment does not equal the actual assignee.
>> Component-based assignment is just a way to skip the unassigned
>> phase, but people can reassign to themselves or others.
>>
>> -chip
>
>Chip, thanks for the answer.
>
>So far, I've yet to see someone speaking negatively on this proposal.
>We do need  better structure - that will also help us being productive.
>
>Please kindly respond with +1, 0 or -1
>
>If -1, please explain why.
>
>Thanks
>ilya

+1

-Alena.

Re: [DISCUSS] Components in JIRA and bug assignment

Posted by Travis Graham <tg...@tgraham.us>.
I don't think we need to add another tool for this. I'm sure Jira is fully capable of doing what's needed, it's just finding the right configuration and the person who knows how to get things setup to work.

Travis

On Oct 8, 2013, at 9:15 AM, Frankie Onuonga <fr...@angani.co> wrote:

> +1 I think we need another tool to do this .
> Maybe set up trac or RT.
>

> Sent from my Windows Phone
> ________________________________

+1

-Alena.

Re: [DISCUSS] Components in JIRA and bug assignment

Posted by Alena Prokharchyk <Al...@citrix.com>.
On 10/4/13 10:37 AM, "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net> wrote:

>> On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 05:11:32PM +0000, Musayev, Ilya wrote:
>> > Question to JIRA experienced admins, we can preserve "assign to me"
>> option, and if unassigned goto "component" maintainer?
>>
>> Absolutely.  Initial assignment does not equal the actual assignee.
>> Component-based assignment is just a way to skip the unassigned phase,
>> but people can reassign to themselves or others.
>>
>> -chip
>
>Chip, thanks for the answer.
>
>So far, I've yet to see someone speaking negatively on this proposal. We
>do need  better structure - that will also help us being productive.
>
>Please kindly respond with +1, 0 or -1
>
>If -1, please explain why.
>
>Thanks
>ilya

+1

-Alena.

RE: [DISCUSS] Components in JIRA and bug assignment

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
As per thread below with Animesh, we would like to resurrect the issue.

As per my conversation with Chip, the issue for not letting component maintainers - get assignments by default - was because we wanted to maintain a balance of "getting things done" vs "letting community grow"

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.