Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by James James <re...@yahoo.com> on 2009/12/30 20:46:28 UTC

GPL-licensed kfs0.3 for building mahout

Hi,

I examined all the jar files needed for building mahout-0.2 jar. There is one jar file called kfs-0.3.jar which is GPL-licensed. I am not an expert on open source licenses, but my understanding is that GPL is viral. Mahout itself is licensed under Apache License, but does its dependence on this GPL-licensed jar file contaminate itself? This issue seems to also be relevant for Hadoop since Hadopp seems to rely on this kfs-0.3.jar too.

Is there any way to build mahout-0.2 without relying on kfs-0.3.jar?

Thanks so very much.

Re: GPL-licensed kfs0.3 for building mahout

Posted by Drew Farris <dr...@gmail.com>.
There are a number of jars that were included in the hadoop 0.2
release because they are dependencies of hadoop. Many of these are
optional jars -- they are not actually needed to run hadoop. Things
like kfs and jets3t for example are libraries that are used to run
hadoop on filesystems other than hdfs.

License aside, they are not required for the build. They have been
explicitly excluded as dependencies in HEAD, for the case of
hadoop-0.2 you can comment out the dependency from the pom, and
perform the build without them.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 4:27 PM, James James
<re...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --> Really? From what I could find, it's under Apache  2.0:
>
> Sorry, did I get this wrong? This is where I found the information
>
> http://www.filewatcher.com/p/kfs-0.3.4-280.i586.rpm.211816/HEADER.html
>
> Is this the jar file used in Mahout?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James
>

> ________________________________

Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://bixolabs.com
e l a s t i c  w e b  m i n i n g

Re: GPL-licensed kfs0.3 for building mahout

Posted by James James <re...@yahoo.com>.
It seems that I got the wrong KFS. I guess the correct one used  in Mahout is

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kosmosfs/

Which is licensed under Apache 2.0

Sorry for the confusion.

James

________________________________
On Dec 30, 2009, at 11:46am, James James wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I examined all the jar files needed for building mahout-0.2 jar. There is one jar file called kfs-0.3.jar which is GPL-licensed.

Really? From what I could find, it's under Apache  2.0:

http://blog.kosmix.com/kosmix-technology/kosmos-filesystem-release/

Though it seems odd that the jar is in the org.apache.mahout.kosmofs groupId, vs. org.kosmix (with artifactId of kosmosfs)

-- Ken
> I am not an expert on open source licenses, but my understanding is that GPL is viral. Mahout itself is licensed under Apache License, but does its dependence on this GPL-licensed jar file contaminate itself? This issue seems to also be relevant for Hadoop since Hadopp seems to rely on this kfs-0.3.jar too.
>
> Is there any way to build mahout-0.2 without relying on kfs-0.3.jar?
>
> Thanks so very much.

Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://bixolabs.com
e l a s t i c  w e b  m i n i n g

Re: GPL-licensed kfs0.3 for building mahout

Posted by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com>.
On Dec 30, 2009, at 11:46am, James James wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I examined all the jar files needed for building mahout-0.2 jar.
> There is one jar file called kfs-0.3.jar which is GPL-licensed.

Really? From what I could find, it's under Apache  2.0:

http://blog.kosmix.com/kosmix-technology/kosmos-filesystem-release/

Though it seems odd that the jar is in the org.apache.mahout.kosmofs
groupId, vs. org.kosmix (with artifactId of kosmosfs)

-- Ken

> I am not an expert on open source licenses, but my understanding is
> that GPL is viral. Mahout itself is licensed under Apache License,
> but does its dependence on this GPL-licensed jar file contaminate
> itself? This issue seems to also be relevant for Hadoop since Hadopp
> seems to rely on this kfs-0.3.jar too.
>
> Is there any way to build mahout-0.2 without relying on kfs-0.3.jar?
>
> Thanks so very much.

Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://bixolabs.com