Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Kendiol <me...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/11 21:45:12 UTC

How can i see the detailed log ?

Hi everyone,

I'm working with JMeter to automate Web Services requests and i have a
problem that i can't solve since two days.
I'm getting a 500 response code,with a message just stating " Internal error
" and i can't figure out where the problem is.
jmter.log doesn't contain enough details to help me and the .jtl file just
repeats what's displayed by the GUI so i can only guess.
How can i obtain a detailed log ? With the SOAP exception maybe ?
I see people posting their logs on this mailing list and i can't consult
mine.
Thanks for your help.

Re: How can i see the detailed log ?

Posted by Kendiol <me...@gmail.com>.
You are referring to which section  ?
I modifier to property that you indicated and i have the detailed log now.
Should i modify another property ?

Re: How can i see the detailed log ?

Posted by freesky <hw...@windowslive.com>.
maybe you can try to modify the related section of jmeter.properties which
you think it may work.  I haven't tried.

Re: How can i see the detailed log ?

Posted by Kendiol <me...@gmail.com>.
You are right, it wasn't the real problem.
I had a little mistake in the URL and I've set the authorization to Basic
VDJNSjFDMTk1N0UwMFFXSDlMNEQ6UVVsLXpbN3Q= , that's the real solution.

My content-length still differs from SOAP UI, i don't have non ascii
characters in my request but i do have some in the response. And no XML
prolog.
Here's the header :

POST / HTTP/1.1
SOAPAction: "submitTrafficTrackingRequest"
Connection: keep-alive

Hope it will help someone.

Re: How can i see the detailed log ?

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
I cant quite figure out how this could have solved your problem (but I cant
argue with the facts :) )
Out of curiosity  does your content length now match SOAP-UI ? Do you have
non ascii characters in your SOAP request?And do you have an XML prolog? in
which case does it have an encoding and what encoding is that?

regards
deepak

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 13 October 2011 17:34, Kendiol <me...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I didn't see this option, i checked it and it's finally working.

Thanks for letting us know the issue is fixed.

However, it seems odd that connection: close was causing a 500 error.

Posted by Kendiol <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 13 October 2011 16:35, Kendiol <me...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But i can't control the content-length can i ? It just indicates the size of
> the request's body from what i understood.

Yes, and so you need to ensure that the content bodies agree.
The length mismatch is just a symptom of different body content.

> I did a HTTP Sampler Request and it worked perfectly. I've attached an XML
> file to it so i can't replace all my SOAP/XML-RPC Requests because i'm using
> BeanShell.

So how did the file content differ from the SOAP/XML-RPC content?

> I would have to rewrite all the requests.
> Still, i think that i managed to identify the problem , i think it's the
> *Connection : close* header , it should be set to keep-alive.

No, in HTTP/1.1 it should just be omitted; by default 1.1 assumes
persistent connections.

But it seems very unlikely that ths is the cause of the problem.

> I've added a Header Manager, and this is what i get :
>
> POST / HTTP/1.1
> Connection: close
>
> Is there a way to stop JMeter from adding the Connection : close header ?

Have you tried using the "Use Keep-Alive" checkbox on the SOAP/XML-RPC sampler?
It's present from at least JMeter 2.4, possibly earlier.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 13 October 2011 15:01, Oliver Lloyd <ol...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Authorisation looks different. Is this basic auth? You could try a HTTP
> Authorisation Manager. Although, not sure why a lack of that would prompt a
> 500 response.

Yes, should be a 4xx response.

The Content-Length is also different - that's more likely the cause of
the issue.

Posted by Kendiol <me...@gmail.com>.
I know that i shouldn't so this, that i should resolve the issue myself but i
don't see any difference here.
Here's what i get with TcpTrace.

*This is the SOAP UI header :*

POST / HTTP/1.1
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate

*This is the JMeter header :*

POST / HTTP/1.1
Connection: close

I'll try a simple HTTP Request as a last resort, but i can't adapt all the
project to use this method.

Re: How can i see the detailed log ?

Posted by Kendiol <me...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for this great response shettyd, I'll follow your advice and i think
that I'll be able to solve this problem.

*To Oliver :* I'm using a SOAP/XML-RPC Request, the parameters are fine,
I'll recheck the headers.
I'm sure it's a small mistake but i haven't been able to solve it since 3
days now.

Anyway, thank you all for your help , I'll post the solution if i find it ,
maybe it'll help another desperate developer.

Re: How can i see the detailed log ?

Posted by Oliver Lloyd <ol...@hotmail.com>.
Are you using <soap:Envelope...>? (Instead of <Envelope...>). You could also
try making sure that the SOAPAction header is correctly set (check the WSDL)
as well as the other headers (content-type, content-length).

Another route is to just use a SOAP/XML-RPC Request or even just a plain
HTTP Sampler (+ HTTP Header Managers). In my case, I tend to find it easier
to just make a standard HTTP request with the xml payload sent as the value
portion of a url param with a blank name.

You'll get there eventually. It's one of those things that seem
insurmountable to start with and then ridiculously simple when you figure it
out. Deepak's suggestion is the probably the cleanest way to approach this
problem, a logical comparison of the two requests will (undoubtedly)
highlight a difference and all will become clear. You'll have the added
bonus of learning a useful skill along the way.

One thing is certain though, there is no doubt that it is the configuration
of your request that is causing the problem - if it works with Soap UI then
the request works, all you have to do is replicate the same as whay Soap UI
is doing in JMeter.

-----
http://www.http503.com/

Re: How can i see the detailed log ?

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi
Wireshark is sort of for more advanced users
Easiest is ask a developer what the application error logs have
An easier solution is You can use either a recording proxy  (but this needs
some setup) or you can use a TCP tunnel e.g.
http://www.pocketsoap.com/tcpTrace/ which records the traffic.
If your webservice runs on http://WebserviceServer:Port , you run this trace
tool , you specify an arbitrary port and WebserviceServer:Port and in your
client instead of specifying the actual WebserviceServer you specify the IP
and port of the machine running the TCP trace . This will record and forward
traffic . Then you change SOAP UI to point to this tool , run your query -
see the SOAP request AND the headers.
the you run JMeter and compare the request and headers

Also Jmeter has two types of webservice samplers - I believe one of them is
obsolete and shouldnt be used - you can look in the mail archives for
messages from sebb
regards
deepak

Posted by Oliver Lloyd <ol...@hotmail.com>.
I am going to bet my Grandmother's cat that your problem is that you have not
correctly correlated a value within your request, there is something
malformed, un-encoded or the request is just plain wrong.

-----
http://www.http503.com/

Re: How can i see the detailed log ?

Posted by Kendiol <me...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your answer.
Yes i do have an application that can successfully receive a response from
the server.
When i send the same request with SOAP UI i get a correct response.
Which network analyzer can i use to compare the traffic between SOAP UI and
JMeter ?
I've never done that before so i need a simple tool.

Re: How can i see the detailed log ?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 12 October 2011 08:49, Kendiol <me...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot, it worked , i can see the detailed log as i wished now.
> However, i don't see any exception or a specific error , the log just
> displays the same message than the GUI and i'm still trying to figure out
> where the problem lies.
> I only get this response :
>
> <?xml version='1.0' ?>
> <env:Envelope xmlns:env='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/'>
> <env:Body>
> <env:Fault>
> <faultcode>env:Client</faultcode>
> <faultstring>Internal Error</faultstring>
> </env:Fault>
> </env:Body>
> </env:Envelope>
>

> Is it possible to have a more specific error message ?

As far as I can tell, it is the server that is generating the error.

JMeter will just show you what the server sends back - you cannot ask
JMeter to display information it does not have.

So any further details will have to be obtained by contacting the
server admin and/or reading any documentation they provide.

If that is not possible, and you have another application that is
successful in contacting the server, then you can use a network
analyser to compare the traffic between JMeter and the successful
application to see what is different.

Re: How can i see the detailed log ?

Posted by freesky <hw...@windowslive.com>.
go to the JMeter directory -> bin -> jmeter.properties -> change the
'log_level.jmeter=INFO' to 'log_level.jmeter=DEBUG'