Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Hunter Kelly <hk...@newbay.com> on 2004/03/31 16:04:46 UTC

Read only access to the visit object?

Hi there, we're working on an application where a certain amount of stuff is
stored when the user logs in, and is read fairly frequently.

We're going to be deploying in a clustered environment, so I would like
some way of accessing the visit object without triggerring it being stored
back into the session at the end of the visit.

Is this possible?  A quck look through the BaseEngine implementation doesn't
turn anything up.

I think there is a strong argument for having a method like
getVisitReadOnly
or something similar, where there is a clear indication that the
visit is going to be read, but not updated.

Otherwise once a user logs in, every page hit could end up saving the
unchanged visit object back into the session, and in a clustered environment,
that is going to hurt performance.