Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by UsefullyWastedIce <pa...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/14 19:03:34 UTC

Will hadoop work for what i am trying to achieve?

I've been doing a lot of research over the past few days, but haven't been
able to find out whether or not hadoop will work for what i am trying to
achieve.

The data I have is initially in XML, and the user needs to be able to query
that data very quickly (response time should be in the 10 second range).
Since the amount of data will grow into can easily grow into Gigabytes, just
processing it on the fly is not fast enough.

What I am was thinking of doing is loading that data into a hadoop cluster,
processing it, and then serving the result back to the user. There are many
tools I've looked at, and since most of them are running on top of hadoop, i
figured that this would be my biggest hurdle.

Is 10 seconds a possible return time, including loading, processing and
returning the data?

Re: Will hadoop work for what i am trying to achieve?

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
5GB files means you are on the wrong project.  5GB is too big for hbase.
 You probably want to put your big files direct on hdfs rather than into
hbase.  I'd suggest you try it.

St.Ack

Posted by UsefullyWastedIce <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.