Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Nandakumar Mounasamy <ku...@yahoo.com> on 2004/10/12 22:26:46 UTC

cocoon versus velocity

Has anyone compared the scalability and page response of cocoon/saxon with struts/velocity with regard to page generation and styling? We need to choose one of these Web Application platforms and scalability and performance are the key considerations.

For this discussion, you can consider Tomcat/Jboss as the server environment.

I am convinced cocoon is better with regard to the following - XSLT is a Standard unlike the Velocity Template Language (VTL), programming controls in XSLT and the flexibilities with styling, choosing many transformation layers, choosing different serializers and hence to publish different contents etc.

I see two functional differences between cocoon/xslt and struts/velocity.
1 - Struts uses VTL for presentation where as Cocoon uses XSLT.
2 - Cocoon expects its data to be XML compliant where as Struts does not.

Appreciate your inputs on the performance and scalability aspect of these two development frameworks.

Thanks

Yahoo! Mail � CNET Editors' Choice 2004.  Tell them what you think. a

Re: cocoon versus velocity

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
While many pipelines do use XSLT there is no requirement for that. It just
happens that XSLT is pretty powerful and solves a lot of problems.

As far as templating goes, Cocoon provides both a Velocity and JXTemplate
generator. In fact, we are using the Velocity generator in one part of our
product.  If the template generates XHTML it can be sent straight back to
to browser from Cocoon.

However, to use Cocoon only this way would be somewhat absurd, in my
opinion. That would be like getting in a 16 wheeler to go get groceries 3
blocks away.

This is just a guess, but I would say that as your pages get more and more
dynamic the performance comparison will lean towards Cocoon.

Ralph