Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2004/12/03 23:53:10 UTC

asset management futures

Doug Chestnut wrote:

> Looking at the 1.4 API, I really like the way it handles assets.
> I hope to have the ability to inherit assets from parent documents
> working shortly.  I think that I just need to think about the ability to
> delete/rename assets and make the link changes in all descendant documents.

publishing also may cause problems if you publish a page that contains
references to unpublished pages with assets. if you only allow access to
assets from parent pages, that should not be a problem since the
publishing process dissallows publication of pages that do not have
their parents published. then again.. you could have added the asset in
the meantime.. just a thought.

> I would also like the ability to have "code fragment" assets that are
> inherited in the same way.  The code fragments could have names like
> "callout box" or "two column page" that would be accessible to our
> content managers like assets are currently.  Selecting a fragment would
> allow our content managers to use our designers fancy css styled
> elements without knowing css or even having to look at the xhtml
> source.  Is there something in the works that I should look at before
> pursuing this feature?

this is a very interesting idea. you could insert xml fragments that way
to do xincludes, for instance. might be useful to have a collection of
these fragments for things like side bars, TOC etc. at this time,
dealing with xincludes is kinda clunky since you have to either define
it in the doctype or the pipeline, which is much more overhead than you
probably want. just being able to quickly place xinclude fragments
somewhere and have a xinclude transformer take care of it automatically
would make it much easier to mix and match content.

im assuming that
http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/XIncludeAggregationProposal has some of the
same goals.

> I guess that 1.4 is considered the alpha/beta development version?
> How eager should I be to develop my publications in lenya 1.4 at this
> point in its development?

if you get your changes in before the big repository revamp happens, it
should be reasonably stable. so for the next couple weeks / months it
should be safe to use 1.4 (unless someone surprises me and starts doing
large scale changes). don't quote me on that though :)

1.2 is the stable branch. at the same time, i wanted to make you aware
of the extended asset management API in 1.4 (which, maybe, could be
backported too?)

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
COO, Wyona       Content Management Solutions    http://wyona.com